Bud Heavy Sour??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not my Billy he loves everything although he's not a Klubb. But he does like BERRY PUNCHES sorry for yelling. Long day too many beers.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just a quick update. I haven't had much time to taste or bottle this beer, that whole life thing gets in the way sometimes. Here's a few photos I took last night. A nice little pellicle has formed.

20150528_173606.jpg

20150528_173543.jpg

20150528_173859.jpg

Also forgot to mention it smelled amazing!! Couldn't quite put my nose on it but had almost a wine like aroma, cheeries, sweet

Sorry I don't know how to rotate the pictures on my phone when I uploaded. It's impressive how much the beer cleared.

So question, I recently brewed up 12 galons of a Saison. Should I split the batch, keg one half and rack the other into this carboy, after I bottle what's in here now? My original plans were to split the batch and use Brett dregs from 2 Ommegan's G.O.T Brett-Saison bottles. The thing is I have no idea what forms of bacteria are in this Bud Heavy.

Still haven't gotten around to bottling this, but looking for insight as to what might be going on here. I just returned home from business travel to find this suspended mid-layer what looks hop debris???? Sorry the pics are not the greatest. Little tough getting a good shot in my ferm chamber with two other carboys chugging away.

Sour 1.jpg

Sour 2.jpg

Sour 3.jpg

Sour 4.jpg

I just returned home from business travel to find this suspended mid-layer what looks hop debris????
well we know it can't be hop debris, since there are no hops in bud (ok, fine, there are about 10 IBUs worth but the hops are filtered out). so unless you've added hops, it must be something else.

my guess would be that it's some yeast or bacteria that have set up colonies there.

A

Agreed it can't be hop debris (nor did I add any) but definitely what it looks like.

I rocked the carboy slightly and the pellicle clouded a bit but this suspended layer didn't budge.

I need to get busy bottling this stuff. What's the best way to go about this with a Sour beer? My plan was to rack into my bottling bucket and mix with a solution of priming sugar and half a packet of champagne yeast. Granted all this plastic equipment will now become my sour gear, do I disturb the pellicle? Suck from the bottom trying to avoid the mid-layer stuff and pellicle? Should I cold crash?

do I disturb the pellicle? Suck from the bottom trying to avoid the mid-layer stuff and pellicle? Should I cold crash?
no harm in cold crashing. not sure about the pellicle since i always fill secondaries to the neck so my pellicles are minimal. if it's still there after cold-crashing, avoid as you can but don't worry too much about it. you'll probably get another pellicle in the bottle anyways (due to O2 exposure during bottling), which will eventually fall.

Bud is a pale 1.045 beer with around 10 IBUs. Dreadfully boring on its own, but pretty textbook as a starting point for long-aged sours. Getting the right microbes in the keg was serendipitous, but New Hampshire is a lot like farmhouse Belgium: mostly rural, almost mountainous, has a 4-season climate, and is home to a lot of French-speakers. They even have similar neighbors, as I'm told that Bostonians are almost-Parisian in their warmth toward strangers.

Sorry my friends I haven’t been able to get around to bottling this. It took me a little while to source up enough free 22 oz. bombers. Hopefully with some time off for the holidays I’ll be able to take care of this. Good news I guess is, the longer I procrastinate the better the sour becomes… I promise to update this page as I too hate seeing threads die. Cheers!

be sure to try it again before you waste time bottling it. nearly 8 months with that much headspace and you may have a carboy of vinegar on your hands.

I sure hope not. That would be a bummer. It has a nice pellicle that I would assume be protecting it to some degree. Part of my lack of bottling has to do with wanting to brew a new batch of beer to ferment and rack directly into this carboy to keep the strain alive. I just haven't had the time to brew, very sad indeed.

Back