BuckSnort Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGadvocate

Reaction score
[ame]http://youtu.be/MPbtBLeJ_os[/ame]

Link to my brew day of this awesome recipe.

5.25 gallon batch at 75% efficiency

OG 1.058

10# 2 row
8oz 90L
8oz 60L
6.5oz Choco malt
1oz Black patent

.75oz Willamette 80 mins
.75oz Willamette 30 mins
1.25oz Mt. Hood 15 mins
.75oz Willamette 5 mins

Wyeast 1056 yeast starter

I really like this recipe. I've never used Mt. Hood hops, but Willamette is the best in brown ales. And the grain bill is simple enough, but has all the right stuff. I bet this would be good as an oatmeal brown ale too! Maybe try subbing in a pound of flaked oats and do a side by side.

It is a great tasting brown ale. It most likely would make a great oatmeal brown as well.

I plan to brew this up soon. My home brew club brewed this at the local brewery on their system for Home Brew day in 2012. I helped with crushing gains and dumping in the mash tun. It was fun brewing on the big system (and a lot of work) and in the end we could buy 5 gallons of the wort for $12. I pitched some dry yeast and the resulting beer tasted great.

I have a Bell's Two Hearted clone with Bell's yeast going now, so I figured I could reuse some of that yeast since they have their Best Brown ale, which I assume uses the same yeast. We'll see how it goes.

For anyone looking for an American brown ale recipe, this is great. The recipe comes from the AHA and was one of their national home brew day beers a few years ago. I've brewed it a couple times and it's always very good. Just brewed it again yesterday.

Back