Buckets vs Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlebomber

Reaction score
An obscene amount of brewing has caused me to buy buckets. Before I have only used glass carboys. I have heard many people on here say they will only use buckets, or they will only use carboys.I don't feel that im biased towards one or the other, but this is what I've found:
Buckets - (cons) Im not a fan of a bucket for a strong fermentation. It seems like the airlock gets clogged with krausen(never had this happen in my 7.5 gallon carboys) and that causes the lid to threaten to blow off. Also CO2 tends to escape out of the lid making the airlock especially unreliable for gauging fermentation. Also I've always heard buckets are easy to clean. I find them HARDER to clean. There are way more nooks and crannys, particularly in the lid, which can harbor funk.
(Pros) HANDLE! This by itself almost makes up for the faults. Also, I haven't dry hopped anything in the buckets yet but I am really looking forward to being able to have a large opening to work with for that. Also, they are frikkin cheap, which is why I ended up with 8 of em.

Carboys (cons) They are expensive. They are heavy. They might one day break causing you serious injury (or death, I read once). And the small opening is a real sonofabitch for dry hoppping.
(Pros) they look cool! ;) just kidding. But you can see fermentation taking place, which I find fun and educational. Also, because of the hard, non-porous surface they clean up extremely easy with oxiclean, and I consider them to be more sanitary than buckets. You can fill up a carboy for a secondary and virtually eliminate headspace, which is awesome for the cider I will be aging for 6 months.
this is a highly unnecessary post, but after drinking a gallon of pumpkin ale out of my bottling bucket I felt obliged... ;)

this is what my garage looks like right now, and there are also 2 buckets cold crashing in the fridge.

ForumRunner_20110926_210858.jpg

Mongrel said:
I have, and use both too, but you need to hook up a blowoff tube into the bucket in the coleman.

Already been done my friend ;) right after I took that picture I rigged a blowoff tube. The lid is still arched like is going to blow though. I've heard of that happening to people, and spraying krausen on to the ceiling

I don't find the buckets hard to clean, except the lids, as you say. I have not tried soaking in oxi yet though. If I had a conatiner big enough to hold a lid...

Otherwise, the buckets seem as easy as a carboy when using oxiclean, and lots easier to get a washrag into to wipe it after the soak.

And they stack better in my fermentation fridge...

Oh yeah, homer you reminded me! The freakin lids. I have to use hurculean strength to pry the lids off, which, when they are full, is not a good prospect. Makes me wonder if there is some technique im missing beyond rippind my fingertips off

Homercidal said:
I don't find the buckets hard to clean, except the lids, as you say. I have not tried soaking in oxi yet though. If I had a conatiner big enough to hold a lid...

Use a tote from walmart.

I use a bucket for the primary, then I rack into the carboy. But I like carboys more.

Oh yeah, homer you reminded me! The freakin lids. I have to use hurculean strength to pry the lids off, which, when they are full, is not a good prospect. Makes me wonder if there is some technique im missing beyond rippind my fingertips off

my lids aren't to bad. but midwest supplys sells a bucket lid opener. just a little plastic thing, i think its pretty cheap

Better Bottles with carboy handles all the way. Easy to clean (oxiclean soak), can see the fermentation, the caps seal well but come off, won't shatter and kill you. What more can you ask?

I use the better bottles with the valve on the bottom. Been using them for about 7 or so years now and love 'em.

Never had flavor contamination issues and I do all kinds of beers, mead and cider.

They are also easier to carry (though now I have that "carboy hauler" and it is AWESOME!).

If sediment collects on the side, just "whack" the side and it just settles down to the bottom. Easy to check if I'm airtight, just push in on the sides and watch the water level move in the airlock.

The valves on the bottom and clear bottle are what ended up selling me on the switch. When it comes time to rack, just move the valve up above the sediment and let gravity do it's thing. REALLY efficient that way.

But.......

I'm going to be trying the "Brewcraft" buckets for ciders this year. Seems they did a really good job designing those buckets. They have "fins" on the bottom to support the weight, they are threaded for valves (all you need to do is drill out the hole if you want to use this feature) and the valves are way cheaper than the better bottles (like less than four bucks). However, I lose the "clear" factor of the better bottles.

Jonathan

I prefer carboys as well. I will try to primary in my 6.5g carboy, but if that's in service I'll use my bucket. Then I'll secondary in one of my 5 g carboys.

For removing lids my wifes aunt gave me a bucket lid opener. She gave me about 20 5 gallon food grade buckets with air tight lids. O use them for storing my grain

ForumRunner_20110927_102451.jpg

You can get buckets that have screw on lids. It's what I use and all you have to do is depress a tab and unscrew the lid. Never had a problem with sealing either.

postal_penguin said:
You can get buckets that have screw on lids. It's what I use and all you have to do is depress a tab and unscrew the lid. Never had a problem with sealing either.

Ok I've got some of those, and I use them for bulk dry foods. I know they are food grade, but im not sure if they are brew grade.

Ok I've got some of those, and I use them for bulk dry foods. I know they are food grade, but im not sure if they are brew grade.

I got some 13 gallon fermentors with the screw lids. I don't like them, way more work and areas to clean. I only use them because they are the only large fermentors that will fit in my tiny dorm fridges.

Carboys are for sure have the cool factor to them, and I like watching my brew ferment. However I most often use a bucket. I find that if I can't see what's going on inside the bucket I don't worry about it as much and the three weeks or so that it sets on primary I never think about it and time flys!

moorerm04 said:
Carboys are for sure have the cool factor to them, and I like watching my brew ferment. However I most often use a bucket. I find that if I can't see what's going on inside the bucket I don't worry about it as much and the three weeks or so that it sets on primary I never think about it and time flys!

Good point... I actually literally forgot I even brewed a dry irish stout that was in one of the buckets.

I found the lids to be a PITA to snap on. The buckets are now for cleaning and wine making (since the lid doesn't have to be snapped on).

I never tried buckets but love my carboys (5). Easy to clean, easy transfers with blow/suck type of syphon starters, makes my life easier, no moving parts.

Sent from GT-I9100M

toilet-paper-roll-debate.jpg

It's all preference. Most of us could go into the pros and cons of every single option. It basically comes down to what you like.

I have two plastic carboys and love that I can easily move them around like buckets, but have the ability to see whats going on inside like a glass carboy.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say neither. I'd just love to have a couple conicals. :)

Reno_eNVy said:
It's all preference. Most of us could go into the pros and cons of every single option. It basically comes down to what you like.

I definitely wasn't trying to start a debate, just reporting my findings now that I've used both. Clearly they have their own separate strengths and weaknesses. As far as the toilet paper illustration, position A is the correct one, and ill fight to the death on that ;)

I definitely wasn't trying to start a debate, just reporting my findings now that I've used both. Clearly they have their own separate strengths and weaknesses. As far as the toilet paper illustration, position A is the correct one, and ill fight to the death on that ;)
Heretic, B is correct!

B... without a doubt. Check it out next time you are in a Hotel or any fine establishment.Don't go by the way you see it at the local gas station. And on topic... I use buckets, if I run out I use a Better Bottle,,, if I run out i use a glass carboy.

A is easier to shear off, and the lessened friction coefficient make the risk of excessive unspooling much less.

It's most certainly B, you crazy people ;)

I wasn't trying to start a debate, just being silly!

Reno_eNVy said:
It's most certainly B, you crazy people ;)

I wasn't trying to start a debate, just being silly!

Nah man, see the carboys vs buckets was kids stuff. This is a serious matter. I think the mods need to move this thread to the debate forum now ;)

I guess if the mods are gonna move this to the debate section they may as well change the name of the thread, to

Buttholes vs Carboys - what would you rather talk about

Back