Buckets Vs Carboys Vs Conicals, Vs Everything else

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Goswick

Reaction score
I happened to luck into a SEVERAL 5 gallon buckets(with lids and gaskets). I also have a few carboys(3 to 6.5 gallon). My question here is what is your preference, and why? What else have you guys used to ferment in, and your options on that please.

6.5 gallon buckets.

Just the right size for 5-5.5 gallon batches, leaving ample headroom for krausen. Rarely need a blow off, also partly due to controlling ferm temps well.

You're going to find fans of each kind of fermenter, with compelling arguments to support each. There won't be much consensus.

That said, here's my $.02. I used to use glass carboys and had prefered them over buckets. I've switched to stainless (Brewbuckets) last year, as I'm not fond of the idea of dropping a big glass bottle. If you're unsure about using carboys, 6.5 gallon buckets are cheap, safe and versatile.

5 gallon buckets are too small for 5 gallon batches, you need ample headroom left. But fine for 3.5-4 gallon batches. As long as they and the lids are food grade.
They had molasses in them. Guess I need to acquire some 6.5 gallon buckets.

That said, here's my $.02. I used to use glass carboys and had prefered them over buckets. I've switched to stainless (Brewbuckets) last year, as I'm not fond of the idea of dropping a big glass bottle. If you're unsure about using carboys, 6.5 gallon buckets are cheap, safe and versatile.
Exactly where I'm at, switched to Brewbuckets so I don't have to worry about dropping glass!

I wouldn't use glass under any circumstance other than maybe long-term aging. If I'm going to use a 5-gallon-batch fermenter, it's going to be a plastic one like a Bigmouth Bubbler or a Fermonster, with a spigot.

Buckets work, but we regularly have someone using buckets asking if their fermentation never took off because they don't have any bubbles in their airlock. Of course, the lid isn't sealed tight, which is why gas is leaking out past the seal and not through the airlock.

Additionally, you can't see what's going on in there. That's also true with stainless fermenters, but if your'e going to use something plastic, why not get something through which you can see the beer fermenting? And IMO, a new brewer will benefit from being able to see what is going on, as they see fermentation proceed and then subside, krausen fall, things like that.

I've since switched to a Spike unitank fermenter, love it. But occasionally if that is full and not available, I'll go back to one of my bigmouth bubblers.

They had molasses in them. Guess I need to acquire some 6.5 gallon buckets.
There's nothing wrong with brewing 3.5-4 gallon batches. Or brew 7-8 gallon batches and split over 2 fermenters, maybe use different yeasts, or dry hops. You can always brew 2 different batches back to back in one brew day. One prep, one cleanup.

You may be able to place 2, 3 or 4 5-gallon buckets where only 1 or 2 6.5-gallon buckets would fit.
Then again, 6.5 gallon buckets with lids run $12-15 a piece, and can last many years. Use the 5 gallon ones for other duties, like Starsan, PBW soaks, etc.

Mind you, secondaries are old hat, we don't use them much anymore. Everything can stay in the first fermenter, with very few exceptions noted.

6.5 gallon plastic buckets work great. They're super cheap and if you buy in to the scratch it = death crowd, go spend 5 bucks and buy a new one.

Glass is easy to use and is clean and is fun to watch fermentation. I was able to do semi closed transfers with mine. That's said, I read a horror story of someone severing their thumb tendon, which would end my career. I wont use glass out of paranoia.

I moved into ssbrew buckets. They're cool. They work great. Easy to clean, can do closed pressure transfers, have all the cool bells and whistles. That said, you can buy about 50-100 plastic buckets for the price.

If you just have money to waste at the home brew level a conical unitank is as fun as it gets. Do not buy a regular conical. You're already spending unneccessary money. Spend the fraction more that it takes to use pressure for real. It's basically a baby brewery item. Theres no practical reason to buy one at home brew levels. They're as fun as it gets though, and that's what it's all about though right?

Old school here: six fermentors, all 6.5g italian glass, from 15 to 13 years old now, all bought new, treated like the grenades that they can be with misuse - especially thermal abuse.
I would not buy a used glass carboy...

Cheers!

...what is your preference, and why? ...

I like clear fermenters for the simple joy of watching the yeast work.

They also let me see if anything has gone wrong (like an infection, which thankfully has not happened to me), and to see when the krausen has dropped. I don't like the safety issues of glass fermenters. I have a Big Mouth Bubbler and a Better Bottle, both PET plastic.

My fermentation mini fridge has a clear door, so I can see how the yeast are doing without even opening the door. I have a window shade that pulls up to protect the fermenter from light when I'm not snooping on the yeast.

IMG_20181121_103102_329.jpg IMG_20181121_103253_981.jpg

The 5 gal buckets you received are always handy to have around, even if you don't use them as fermenters.

I mostly use buckets. I've had a glass carboy slip, break, cut me and spill all the liquid that was in it all over the garage. I do have plastic carboys but only use them for mead.

I'm waiting for the Fermzilla to come out. It's now listed as available for pre-order but I won't order until it's in stock. The Fermzilla is advertised as a 7.9 gallon conical that can withstand 35psi. This means being able to ferment under pressure with a spunding valve.

I like my brew bucket but miss seeing the action. I want to install an inspection/voyeur port but ~$60 is a bit pricey for my blood.

6.5 gallon plastic buckets work great. They're super cheap and if you buy in to the scratch it = death crowd, go spend 5 bucks and buy a new one.

Glass is easy to use and is clean and is fun to watch fermentation. I was able to do semi closed transfers with mine. That's said, I read a horror story of someone severing their thumb tendon, which would end my career. I wont use glass out of paranoia.

I moved into ssbrew buckets. They're cool. They work great. Easy to clean, can do closed pressure transfers, have all the cool bells and whistles. That said, you can buy about 50-100 plastic buckets for the price.

If you just have money to waste at the home brew level a conical unitank is as fun as it gets. Do not buy a regular conical. You're already spending unneccessary money. Spend the fraction more that it takes to use pressure for real. It's basically a baby brewery item. Theres no practical reason to buy one at home brew levels. They're as fun as it gets though, and that's what it's all about though right?
Out of curiosity whats your definition of "home brew levels"? I ask because I found my unitank a very practical addition to my home brewery. Cheers

Used 6.5 gallon glass carboys with a blow-off tube for years with 5 gallon batches. Once I stepped up to 10 gallon batches I switched to 14 gallon SS conical. Being able to dump yeast, easily transfer, clean, sanitize, etc makes, for me, the conical great.

for right now 6 1/2 G buckets. 1. I'm cheap. 2. I'm still working on figuring out my brew house( basement). Have thought of upgrading to something else but not sure what.

I wouldn't use glass under any circumstance other than maybe long-term aging. If I'm going to use a 5-gallon-batch fermenter, it's going to be a plastic one like a Bigmouth Bubbler or a Fermonster, with a spigot.

Buckets work, but we regularly have someone using buckets asking if their fermentation never took off because they don't have any bubbles in their airlock. Of course, the lid isn't sealed tight, which is why gas is leaking out past the seal and not through the airlock.

Additionally, you can't see what's going on in there. That's also true with stainless fermenters, but if your'e going to use something plastic, why not get something through which you can see the beer fermenting? And IMO, a new brewer will benefit from being able to see what is going on, as they see fermentation proceed and then subside, krausen fall, things like that.

I've since switched to a Spike unitank fermenter, love it. But occasionally if that is full and not available, I'll go back to one of my bigmouth bubblers.
Why do you prefer the bigmouth Bubbler or Fermonster over buckets?

Out of curiosity whats your definition of "home brew levels"? I ask because I found my unitank a very practical addition to my home brewery. Cheers

I've got a unitank too. It's fun. Ita makes good beer. If you need me to explain how a unitank is a needless excess piece of equipment for a few gallons of beer, I dont think you'd get it.

I mostly use buckets. I've had a glass carboy slip, break, cut me and spill all the liquid that was in it all over the garage. I do have plastic carboys but only use them for mead.

I'm waiting for the Fermzilla to come out. It's now listed as available for pre-order but I won't order until it's in stock. The Fermzilla is advertised as a 7.9 gallon conical that can withstand 35psi. This means being able to ferment under pressure with a spunding valve.
Never lost any glass (knock on wood-LOL)!

I've got a unitank too. It's fun. Ita makes good beer. If you need me to explain how a unitank is a needless excess piece of equipment for a few gallons of beer, I dont think you'd get it.
Got it. A *few* gallons of beer is your answer and in that case I agree a unitank for a *few* gallons of beer is overkill. Cheers

Hey, what would you consider thermal abuse?

Introducing liquid with a greater than 5°F differential vs the vessel temperature.

So, no hot wort - I bring wort to pitching temperature first; no rinsing/washing immediately after kegging a cold-crashed fermentor - the glass is still sitting around 40°F while my coldest tap water is at least 55°F; and no hot washing - OxyFree works fine with room temperature water, just slower.

When you read of the bottom falling out of a carboy, that is the result of repeated thermal insults. I do my damndest to avoid same...

Cheers!

for right now 6 1/2 G buckets. 1. I'm cheap. 2. I'm still working on figuring out my brew house( basement). Have thought of upgrading to something else but not sure what.

Why do you prefer the bigmouth Bubbler or Fermonster over buckets?

Well, I thought it was pretty clear; they often don't seal and you can't see what's going on:

So far, I haven't ran into a sealing issue with any of my buckets. I clean and sanitise like a carboy, and treat gaskets and orings to keg lube.

I've never really been a big fan of buckets. I bought one once, and brewed in it a few times, but don't like the concept. You can't watch the fermentation happen, the lid cracks and ages, the ring fails, the bucket turns colors over time, mini scratches appear from cleanings that make me nervous. The thought of just tossing the bucket out after a few brews doesn't sit well with me either, I don't like the idea of dozens of buckets sitting in a landfill.

I've never liked any other type of plastic fermenter for the same reason (PET carboys, plastic conicals, ect.). Cheap and safe, yes. Durable, no.

I currently use mostly glass carboys. Durable, lifetime purchases (if you treat them well) that can be recycled (if they break), allow you to watch all the fermentations happen, and the temp of the beer translates well to the glass wall for easy temp measurements. Mind you they aren't perfect, and can be dangerous. No pressure transfers too. If I could get over the downsides of some of the other options, I would.

I'd like to move onto ssbrew buckets, but the cost isn't too inviting. I could get over it though. The more I talk myself into an ssbrew bucket, the more I figure a Spike Flex fermenter can do everything a ssbrew bucket can do and more . . . but if I'm going to spend the cash on a Flex fermenter, I mine as well spring for a Spike unitank (not much more) . . . but a unitank won't fit in my chest freezer, which means I'd have to get a glycol chiller . . . and in the end I'm replacing a $30 glass bottle with $2,000 worth of equipment . . . and I can't justify it.

I wish I could though. And maybe one day I will. But for now the glass carboy will have to do.

I've never really been a big fan of buckets. I bought one once, and brewed in it a few times, but don't like the concept. You can't watch the fermentation happen, the lid cracks and ages, the ring fails, the bucket turns colors over time, mini scratches appear from cleanings that make me nervous. The thought of just tossing the bucket out after a few brews doesn't sit well with me either, I don't like the idea of dozens of buckets sitting in a landfill.

I've never liked any other type of plastic fermenter for the same reason (PET carboys, plastic conicals, ect.). Cheap and safe, yes. Durable, no.

I currently use mostly glass carboys. Durable, lifetime purchases (if you treat them well) that can be recycled (if they break), allow you to watch all the fermentations happen, and the temp of the beer translates well to the glass wall for easy temp measurements. Mind you they aren't perfect, and can be dangerous. No pressure transfers too. If I could get over the downsides of some of the other options, I would.

I'd like to move onto ssbrew buckets, but the cost isn't too inviting. I could get over it though. The more I talk myself into an ssbrew bucket, the more I figure a Spike Flex fermenter can do everything a ssbrew bucket can do and more . . . but if I'm going to spend the cash on a Flex fermenter, I mine as well spring for a Spike unitank (not much more) . . . but a unitank won't fit in my chest freezer, which means I'd have to get a glycol chiller . . . and in the end I'm replacing a $30 glass bottle with $2,000 worth of equipment . . . and I can't justify it.

I wish I could though. And maybe one day I will. But for now the glass carboy will have to do.

Your reasoning for favoring glass was mine too. I still have a few 3 gal glass for doing 2.5 gal batches.

Take a look at the Chapman 7 gal ss. I've heard good things about them and $75 cheaper than the Brew Bucket, though it lacks the conical bottom.

(i skipped over most, but anyway...to the OP)

I brew 10 gal batches, and can't afford a big ol' SS conical, nor the pumps that would be required....but i can get a 15 gal plastic bucket for $20, and it's just light enough to lift onto my table to siphon into my kegs....big lid also, so it's easy to clean....

Take a look at the Chapman 7 gal ss. I've heard good things about them and $75 cheaper than the Brew Bucket, though it lacks the conical bottom.

Sadly, the Chapman puts me through the same endless thought spiral. It doesn't have a conical bottom or a sampling port. Would I be willing to pay an extra $75 for the ability to take samples without opening it, over the next 30 years? Hmm. . . . And if I did make that jump, would I be willing to pay an extra $100 or so dollars for the ability to to pressure transfers, carbonate and watch the fermentation happen (Flex), again over the next 30 years? Hmm . . . And then a Unitank doesn't end up being that much more (when you add all the add ons to the Flex), but with more abilities . . .

It's truly a disease.

I had about 6 glass carboys, but I've gotten rid of them all, except for one wide mouth bubbler. I know a few people that have had full glass carboys break, luckily, no major lacerations. I have a bucket for the sour stuff , I like my Fermonsters for secondary treatments, and my favorite carboy is a 30L Speidel. It's pricey ($65), but the 30L carboy is great because there is plenty of head room for active yeast like Wyeast 3068 on a 5 gallon batch, and it has handles. It's opaque, so if you enjoy gazing at the active fermentation, you're out of luck, but the opacity also has the benefit that I can set in out in the garage to finish and not be concerned about the beer being light-struck. I really like the looks of the stainless equipment. Maybe someday.

Sadly, the Chapman puts me through the same endless thought spiral. It doesn't have a conical bottom or a sampling port. Would I be willing to pay an extra $75 for the ability to take samples without opening it, over the next 30 years? Hmm. . . . And if I did make that jump, would I be willing to pay an extra $100 or so dollars for the ability to to pressure transfers, carbonate and watch the fermentation happen (Flex), again over the next 30 years? Hmm . . . And then a Unitank doesn't end up being that much more (when you add all the add ons to the Flex), but with more abilities . . .

It's truly a disease.

Good points. If you're going to make the jump to ss, might as well get the functionality you want.

Looking over Chapman on Amazon...I am rather tempted to try this version. A 14 gallon ss fermenter for $135 with free shipping. I don't do a lot of 10 gal batches, but the price might make it worthwhile for occasional use, and it would fit nicely in my ferm chamber.

Re: bucket lid seals - I've never had trouble getting them to stay sealed. You can certainly get buckets with a gasket in the lid if you're worried about it.

I was just doing a closed transfer from my bucket to keg, via spigot. With a loose fitting seal at the bung and low pressure co2 in, I still managed to pop the lid, startling both myself and my son.

Conclusion: lid seal is pretty substantial.

30 responses, and nobody has mentioned fermenting in a keg? I'm surprised.

I've never done it myself, but I have some Top Draw systems coming soon and I plan on fermenting and serving out of the keg. With Fermcap, I should hopefully be able to fit about 4.5 gallons in there.

I have two 12.5 gallon stainless conicals. Two are needed for frequent lager production.

I like the stainless over plastic, and the dump and racking valves keep the trub out of finished beer and allow for easy hydrometer readings. I put in 10-11 gallon batches and have never had anything but CO2 come out the blow off tube.

They were not cheap, but not too bad as I bought them on ebay. I do not know the makes, they are similar to each other but not like anything I have seen for sale lately(one might be a first gen Spike), I brew a lot and for me they were worth the investment, but of course are not needed to make good beer.

Used to ferment in heavy old glass carboys, and still have several. I'd use them for cider or mead experiments, but am glad I do not have to use them regularly, I'm sure I would have dropped one by now.

I went from 6.5gal buckets to a fastferment, now I own 2 7.5 anvil ss buckets. I love them. I could never get a good seal on any of the others but I'm not saying I didn't make good beer. But they all end up getting infected on me.

(i skipped over most, but anyway...to the OP)

I brew 10 gal batches, and can't afford a big ol' SS conical, nor the pumps that would be required....but i can get a 15 gal plastic bucket for $20, and it's just light enough to lift onto my table to siphon into my kegs....big lid also, so it's easy to clean....
Pray tell where you're acquiring said buckets.

I use BrewBuckets. I used to use glass but I stopped. I gave some away. I put one in recycling that looked like it make have had a crack and sold one. Fortunately I never broke one. I still have a Better Bottle if I need a third fermenter but that almost never happens.

I do miss being able to see what's going on in the fermenter.

Bit the $ bullet and switched to all stainless (Brewbucket) and will never look back (for beer).
I still do primary fermentation of ciders in a 6.5 gal bucket because I often add other fruit and need both the volume and headspace. And I still use 5G glass carboys for aging ciders (3-6 months where plastic would be too oxygen permeable).

But, 5G buckets, as stated previously, are too small for 5G batches due to lack of headspace.

The best use for a 5G gasketed bucket is grain storage. I have nearly 200 lb of grain stored in stacked 5G buckets.

Back