Buck Wheat Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildlife1

Reaction score
Just wondering if using buck wheat honey would create any problems in making a batch of simple braggot that is posted in the recipes setion?:tank:

I don't have a whole lot of experience, but I have used buckwheat a bit in the past and have read quite a bit about it here in HBT. With those qualifiers, buckwheat honey has a unique, and pretty powerful flavor. From what I've read, most people use a tiny bit in conjunction with other honeys like clover and wildflower to add a touch of buckwheat flavor, but it's not so good to use ALL buckwheat.

Whereas a quick search round can also locate posts where some have used all buckwheat despite the apparent strong flavour it can have....

And some people rate it very highly like that.........

So just experiment with it how you want........

If it's got a very strong, heavy flavour (some also say "barn yard" aroma, but I'm not sure if they're just saying grassy/dusty or possibly a dung like hint of sulphure about it), maybe half and half with something else ?

Your batch, your mead, your decision.......

Based on the recipe you mentioned, the buckwheat honey will overpower everything else. If you like it that way, then go for it; it's all about what you like.
Regards, GF.

Hey THANX everyone
Guess its best to follow the recipe the first time and experiment the next time

Back