Bubbling up through air lock!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcevoy

Reaction score

image-489174661.jpg

Yes,stop wasting time & put a blow off tube on that thing! I always start with one for initial fermentation,which can get pretty wild. Do it now,don't think about it...

Here's an example and a solution.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you primary fermenting in a 5-gallon carboy? If so, you might think about using a 6.5-gallon for primary next time, plus a blowoff hose, of course. The extra headspace will keep things from running amok. Use your 5-gallon for secondary, if you're into that sort of thing. :D

Lookin at that video,all he had to do was make the hose long enough to hit bottom & put a few inches of water & a splash of starsan in the blow off bucket. Boy some folks have no common sense...:drunk:

Thanks guys. I ended up changing out the airlock and it's been fine. <:)

Lookin at that video,all he had to do was make the hose long enough to hit bottom & put a few inches of water & a splash of starsan in the blow off bucket. Boy some folks have no common sense...:drunk:

I know, right! Dude made the 'blow off' tube thing look like a difficult process. Not to mention, ~5 gal in a 5 gal carboy, waste of a lot of beer, IMO.
FWIW, I've found that with those hollow bungs (like in the video), a 1/2" ID tube fits over the 'post' in the middle (where the hole for the airlock is) perfectly. The 1/2" tube is much better for letting all that cr@p escape if need be.
Lesson here: Always start with a blowoff tube, after the krausen begins to drop is when the airlock should make it's first appearance. :mug:

I usually use a water jug cut in half to put the overflow hose in. I stick the hose in where the handle was cut in half, and it sems to keep it in place well for those wild fermenting brews! This is not always necessary, but I have had some hoses try to shoot out of an old pickle jar I was using.

Back