Bubbling over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By now you should have many billions of yeast cells. Don't worry about losing a few thousand.

It's a good idea to always start with a blow off tube but I never have. I simply control the temperature of the fermenter so that controls how fast the yeast work. If they work slowly, they don't make so many bubbles nor do they make the off flavors.

agreed with the above. i rarely use a blowoff. i either make sure there's enough space for a krausen, or make sure it's cool enough that it's not going to ferment fully in 2 days.

btw is it fermenting in that spot, or did you move it for the pics?

By now you should have many billions of yeast cells. Don't worry about losing a few thousand.

It's a good idea to always start with a blow off tube but I never have. I simply control the temperature of the fermenter so that controls how fast the yeast work. If they work slowly, they don't make so many bubbles nor do they make the off flavors.

Unless you have a large fermenter and tons of headspace this is just playing Russian Roulette. Sooner or later.......

I would pour off about half of the sanitizer in your flask. If you get suck back from temperature changes you will get less into your beer. You only need enough to keep the end of the tube submerged.

I simply control the temperature of the fermenter so that controls how fast the yeast work. If they work slowly, they don't make so many bubbles nor do they make the off flavors.

I'd rely on a blowoff tube before relying solely on temp control. I've got a batch in the fermenter right now that's been at a steady 55 since Saturday and it's blowing off like crazy.

just so you know, at the most vigorous part of fermentation, the temperature inside the fermenter can be 5-8F more than ambient. maybe even more. in the future it's a good idea to find a place where ambient temps are anywhere from 60-63F.

68-70 is not the temp in the room it's the temp of the fermenter.

You won't have to worry if you don't fill it so high. Only fill to the lowest rib on your bucket. Trust me...I haven't used a blow off tube since 1938. Although there was the great blow-off tube pandemic of the late 40's. Boy, those were the times.

Back