Bubbles question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
I have a belgian (wpl400) that I have some strange bubbles. Fermentation is complete and I just haven't transferred to keg yet. I opened it tonight and instead of seeing the usual smooth surface after krausen drops, I see the stuff in the picture. It has been 3.5 ish weeks since I pitched. Any idea of whats going on with the bubbles? I have made this recipe before and didn't have these.
Bubbles.JPG

Looks fine, close the lid! Maybe I'm just paranoid about introducing an infection or something to my beer, but I never open my buckets until I'm ready to transfer or bottle.

I got really nervous once seeing something similar on a beer I had sitting in secondary for 4 weeks. It's going on 7 months in the bottles without a single gusher (in fact they stayed nice and low carbonation like I wanted them) and not a single bottle bomb. Just CO2 coming out of solution and sticking on the surface.

Thanks all. I am used to seeing a nice clean top after that period of time. I usually don't even check until the 3 week point. Was a surprise.

Thanks again.

Back