Bubble rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macaler

Reaction score
If searched as far as humanly possibly back into these forums.. (Ok.. As far as I can go anyhoo) I could also use Google, but that will lead me down a path of answers that will make my head spin...

FROM EXPERIENCED brewers....

What is the bubble rate of u brewing process.

My 4 gallon Batch, (store bought Juice, half pound of pure Brown cane sugar, 2 tblsspoons of Yeast Nutrient) sat for about a day.. Nothing.
Second day.. A few bubbles, 1 every 15 seconds or so.
Then 2 days of serious bubbling, maybe a bubble every 4-5 seconds...
Now Day 4.. Back to the 15 seconds...

All OK? Any thoughts on this.

Also.. Am I supposed to remove airlock/lid to get samples to test Gravity? Won't this introduce bacteria?

Thanks

What yeast did you use? What temp is it fermenting at? What was the OG (if you have it)?

Yes, you can easily take samples... just make sure you sanitize/clean anything before it comes in contact. Its a good practice as 'bubbling' is not a great indicator of anything. (taking samples means measuring gravity)

The best way to not worry about what's happening in the airlock is to build up a pipeline of brews. I had to empty my pipeline for a move across country and the first couple fermentations in the new place were micro-worried about. With a pipeline you are less worried!

Yea - airlock activity is not a great sign of fermentation.

+1 to the measuring
+2 to the Police meme: "Stop, back away from the fermenter. The yeast knows more than you do."

Out of curiosity do you have a temp controlled fermenter or is it in ambient (e.g. Whatever the room is at). We've had some wild temp swings in Pittsburgh lately, and that can cause any fermentation to act up. Maybe you're experiencing the same thing.

Thanks for the info on Sampling..I was well confused about that. Conflicting info.

I used Champagne Yeast (no more detail on that unfortunately). My OG was 1.05 (of 50 on my hydrometer??)

No big temp swings outside, but the room may have gotten to 23C yesterday. I've turned on an AC unit this morning to keep the room approx 21C.

I wish I had temp controlled fermenter...That's be great as I live in a sub-tropical climate. Means my Summer brewing is probably limited.

My 4 gallon Batch, (store bought Juice, half pound of pure Brown cane sugar, 2 tblsspoons of Yeast Nutrient) sat for about a day.. Nothing.
Second day.. A few bubbles, 1 every 15 seconds or so.
Then 2 days of serious bubbling, maybe a bubble every 4-5 seconds...
Now Day 4.. Back to the 15 seconds...

All OK? Any thoughts on this.

Also.. Am I supposed to remove airlock/lid to get samples to test Gravity? Won't this introduce bacteria?

Thanks

All seems fine with your bubbling. Unless you are going for a specific Final Gravity there is no reason to check it for at least 14 days.

Anything that touches the cider needs to be sanitized.

Back