Bubble gum after taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhammers91

Reaction score
Ok so for the last four batches or so of homebrew I have made, I have had a strange aftertaste. The bet way I can describe it is as bubble gum. I can't tell if it is coming from my kegs or if it is something in my brewing process... Anybody have any experience or ideas as to what is causing this unnatural phenomenon and/or a way to fix it? Don't get me wrong, not knocking bubble gum! I just don't like the taste in my beer! :)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The first question would be, "What yeasts have you used on those brews?" Some Belgian strains can create bubblegum-like esters.

I would really have to think back and I can get a better list once I get home, but one was a California v yeast I believe, and a kolsch yeast strain... I can be more specific later...

Weird, I wouldn't expect that from Cali V...not sure about the kolsch strain. Bubblegum esters often come from certain Belgian strains fermenting at higher temps...

What are your fermentation temps? This sounds to me like you fermented them a little too warm, and the yeast are giving you off flavors.

Not really unnatural or a phenomenon, just a simple fermentation flaw.

Haha I was being slightly sarcastic about the unnatural phenomenon! :) as for fermentation temp, it kept a constant 65°f throughout fermentation.

Are you drinking too early? It might just be a little too green. Some aging will probably mellow out any off flavors

Thanks for that idea. I brewed it in early march. Sat in primary for a month. Sat in secondary until two weeks ago when I kegged it. I can't peg what the deal is...

I think esters from over-temp and/or underpitch are the obvious suspect. That's 65 ambient, isn't it? Not internal?

Wlp051 is supposed to be fruitier than 001 and that might stand out if internal is up around 73, as it might be. I thought Kolsch was supposed best at hybrid temps (mid 50s). Try something more forgiving, like wlp001. Whatever you do, don't try nottingham that warm.

Are you drinking too early? It might just be a little too green. Some aging will probably mellow out any off flavors

This is sometimes true, but fermenting cooler should mean drinkable beer sooner. Esters stick around in ways other faults don't, I think.

Back