BS Comment and My Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyCarHasAbs

Reaction score
About 9 months ago I started making AG beer. I had a few hiccups and was confusing some extract techniques with AG techniques like adding water in the carboy before pitching. Honest newbie mistake.

One guy, I don't remember his screen name. I don't even know if he remembers posting it. But he said and I quote "you are no where effing close mate, you have no idea what you're doing".

I was told not to take this comment personally. But I did. I took it very personally. I was angry for months about this comment. I wanted to come back on here for months and cuss this guy out, but I didn't. Instead, I took this arrogant bs comment to heart and used it as fuel to learn and prove this ignorant individual wrong.

The agency I work for holds a monthly social event we call Beer Friday. I'm a graphic designer and work in the production department. We're the largest department in the office and we're known for throwing big Beer Friday parties. Since myself and another coworker of mine are well known as the big beer geeks in the office and me being the brewer, we were naturally selected to run and manage the event. Everything down to the decor, the wine list, the beer list and the food. I was encouraged to serve my own stuff for fun. And that's what I did.

During the time of this guys comment, I was in the process of experimenting with a few recipes. With 5 months to go, I took that comment and made 5 brews. A chocolate stout aged an extra month with oak chips soaked in bourbon, a hazelnut porter, and chai tea brown ale, a summer ale brewed with lemon peel and a German style hard apple cider made with a German wine yeast.
I even branded my own beers with rock and metal themed names for each depending on the style or special ingredient included. I even made my own homebrew logo.

Last night was our departments Beer Friday. I couldn't have been happier with the reaction from not only the change of beer selection we got (from the usual keg of Clydesdale Piss and BlueMoon) but the response of 80+ individuals who tried my home brew. I was asked multiple times if they could buy bottles or if they could find it in stores. (I also made my own labels and spray painted the display bottles black). I was overwhelmed with the amount of compliments from co workers that I didn't even talk to on a regular basis.

The best comment I got came from our marketing director. "If you really wanted to, you could absolutely open your own brew pub, there's no doubt in my mind. You're ready". I slightly disagree, I still think I have plenty to learn but it's a serious consideration and I'd like multiple business partners if it ever came to that.

The point of this thread though, was a message to that guy who said the aforementioned above....

I really wanted to come here and say "suck it.....suck it long and hard..."
Instead, I say this. Thank you, thank you for being a total dbag and pushing me to learn the right way. Your *****-baggery did more good than harm.

Shame I can only click the like button once.

I'm glad you used that EAC's comment the way you did, and extra glad it worked out well for you. :mug:

yeh, that's why I'm as big of a dick as I can be without getting perm-banned, for remarkable come-back stories like this. Anyone can be kind and helpful and offer suggestions and advice, but it takes someone really special to kick you right in the balls when you're already down to motivate you to do better next time. In fact I wouldn't doubt it if I was the one who said that to you, and I'd like to hereby officially say, you showed me, mate. Keep that shiz up.

I don't recognize your avatar or screen name but I solute your style. It just works, even if it's harsh.

Glad you have progressed well. But to get so upset over a rude response on the internet??????

Some take it more close to the chest than others my friend. But positive came out of it and that's all that matters.

Some people might have gone in the other direction, and let it affect their ability to forge ahead. Some may have quit, thinking "maybe this really isn't for me."

You didn't. You took that burr in your saddle and used it as a motivator to prove that troll wrong. You ended up making good beer and becoming a better brewer.

Nice job.

Yea, don't let anything on the internet bother you. Good job on the beers.

On this forum, if ANYTHING bothers you, report it. Just click the
report.gif

Interestingly enough, I followed that thread for a bit, but then I honestly thought to myself, "This guy just doesn't get it. He needs to start back at the beginning, at the basics, and build up again from there. This guy who taught him was either a bad teacher, or didn't know what he was talking about, and screwed this guy over. But I'm not gonna comment because there's already much better brewers, who are better at responding than me, helping him out."

And @Gavin C would be on that list of better brewers, who are better at responding than me. I have a tendency to lose my patience with incompetent people, haha. I've never seen anything that direct come from him before, or after, that comment, and I didn't follow along with that thread up to that point. So I clicked on it to find out who the ****** bag was (which came out as #103 for me), and found out that the guy isn't actually a ******... at all. In fact, he has a rather good rapport around here.

I'm glad it worked out and that you haven't stopped, and have even improved your brews. But you honestly gotta just let that stuff slide off of you. I mean it's a good achievement, but based on the wrong motives. I personally find that although those results feel nice, that feeling quickly fades compared to achievements that I've made where i just set my goals high, and accomplished that feat. Now that you've got it off your chest, move on. Start making good beer, and even great beer, simply for the pleasure of doing so... Not for trying to prove some unknown guy on the internet wrong.

To the person who found that thread, I'm impressed haha. Thought that was lost in the Internet haha.

I actually feel a lot better now that I got it off my chest and I honestly can't think ill of the person who posted it. It was a kick in nads that I needed.

Now I can focus on the next step which is fine tuning more complicated styles.

Someone else mentioned "why did you take someone's comment on the internet so seriously?" (Something like that). Well, when you really enjoy doing something so much that it's almost all you think about and then someone comes along with goes Hells Kitchen on you, it's a punch in the gut. If this was on DIY home makeover or something and someone said "you suck at this, hire a professional". Id be like, yep, you're right. I don't even like painting cabinets, this does blow.

OK, I just found the original post after sifting through the thread. In its entire context, I don't see the "not effing close" comment to be harsh. Maybe it showed a little frustration on how the progress was going, but nothing looks disrespectful or trollish to me. I've read a lot of Gavin's posts on this forum and he always comes across helpful and friendly. In the last paragraph he even apologized in advance if he came across as disrespectful.

The trouble with written online communication--it's difficult to determine the tone sometimes.

Whatever you got out of that original thread, it made you concentrate on your brewing. It's all good.

snip

The trouble with written online communication--it's difficult to determine the tone sometimes.

snip

+1

People say things online in a tone they would never use face to face. It's conditioning; I've done it myself. The upside is that it trains people to be a little thicker-skinned, maybe.

well if it makes you fill any better a person that gets on the net and just spends there time trying to bash others is leading a pizz poor life. really mowing the lawn sounds like a better time then that. i think its a crazy move. do it to the wrong one and you end up in a bad way in this insane world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back