BRY-97 yeast still fermenting after 2 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
I posted this in the yeast section but it's not getting viewed and I'd like to discuss this. Mods, please feel free to delete the thread in the other section.

I'm currently 2 weeks into fermentation of the citra cerveza recipe that's on here. My lhbs was all out of sa05 so I had to buy BRY-97. I've never used it before so I'm not sure what to expect.
My basement is at a steady 64-65 degrees all the time which is at the end of spectrum for this yeast I think. It took off like a rocket and made a mess in my blowoff bucket. I took a gravity sample today and it was at 1.010. The recipe calls for 1.008 but I'm not sure if it's going to get down that far.

My thought is I can't believe that after 2 weeks it's still fermenting. However, judging by the krausen it seems that it still is fermenting. Everything I've read says this yeast can have a lag time but once it starts fermenting it's finished quickly.

I'm wondering if I need to bring it up in temp a bit to maybe gain an extra few gravity points? Or if this yeast is known to have issues with the krausen dropping out? I'm out of kegged beer so I'd like to get something cold crashed and kegged asap but I also don't want to rush the beer. Anyone have any thoughts?

I checked it this morning and it still had krausen on top and it was bubbling. It could just be the beer degassing but with all that krausen I tend to think it's still fermenting even after 2 weeks...
Thanks!

I've used BRY-97 twice now and the krausen never dropped on either batch. 1.010 sounds like you may have hit FG. Check with a hydrometer 3 days in a row for changes if you want to be sure, or just leave it for another week and you should be safe.

I've used BRY-97 twice now and the krausen never dropped on either batch. 1.010 sounds like you may have hit FG. Check with a hydrometer 3 days in a row for changes if you want to be sure, or just leave it for another week and you should be safe.

Thanks. This is the information I was looking for. :mug:

Agree with flexmurphy. I have only used bry-97 and notingham yeast for the last 2 years.love them. Krausen holds on forever. Give it a slight shake and it will drop.

thanks guys. I went ahead and kegged it last night. All looks good! This yeast leaves a slight peach effervescence which goes well with the citra whirlpool I did in this beer. I think I'll wash this yeast and keep it on hand. I think I still dig sa05 better but this one is just as good in it's own way.

Latest posts

Back