BRY-97 2 weeks fermentation and still has krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
I'm currently 2 weeks into fermentation of the citra cerveza recipe that's on here. My lhbs was all out of sa05 so I had to buy BRY-97. I've never used it before so I'm not sure what to expect.
My basement is at a steady 64-65 degrees all the time which is at the end of spectrum for this yeast I think. It took off like a rocket and made a mess in my blowoff bucket. I took a gravity sample today and it was at 1.010. The recipe calls for 1.008 but I'm not sure if it's going to get down that far.

My thought is I can't believe that after 2 weeks it's still fermenting. However, judging by the krausen it seems that it still is fermenting. Everything I've read says this yeast can have a lag time but once it starts fermenting it's finished quickly.

I'm wondering if I need to bring it up in temp a bit to maybe gain an extra few gravity points? Or if this yeast is known to have issues with the krausen dropping out? I'm out of kegged beer so I'd like to get something cold crashed and kegged asap but I also don't want to rush the beer. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!

I have done only 6 ferments with this yeast so it can do something different than what I have seen . that said I have found that at 67 to 69 this ferments in about 4 days. I t does not ferment as low as US -o5 by my experience.
It can't hurt to raise the temp to say 71 or 72 but I doubt that it will change the gravity. if you are kegging it really does not matter much as the cold temp will stop any yeast from working. Mine uses of this yeast have been clean flavor and mild ferments, the Blow off tube doesn't work carrying much yeast or beer. My experience has been that the yeast floc out nicely but my Krausen drops the 5th or 6th day. When using New fresh from the pkg yeast it does tend to have a 24 hr or so lag period but when I reuse the yeast it takes off in 6 hrs or less. My guess is that you could Keg what you have and drink it when it is carbed up. Cheers!

I have done only 6 ferments with this yeast so it can do something different than what I have seen . that said I have found that at 67 to 69 this ferments in about 4 days. I t does not ferment as low as US -o5 by my experience.
It can't hurt to raise the temp to say 71 or 72 but I doubt that it will change the gravity. if you are kegging it really does not matter much as the cold temp will stop any yeast from working. Mine uses of this yeast have been clean flavor and mild ferments, the Blow off tube doesn't work carrying much yeast or beer. My experience has been that the yeast floc out nicely but my Krausen drops the 5th or 6th day. When using New fresh from the pkg yeast it does tend to have a 24 hr or so lag period but when I reuse the yeast it takes off in 6 hrs or less. My guess is that you could Keg what you have and drink it when it is carbed up. Cheers!

Well if it's still fermenting I don't want to cold crash and keg it because it's not finished yet and it wont taste right. I checked it this morning and it was STILL bubbling. If there wasn't so much krausen on top I'd think it's just the beer degassing but the amount of krausen on it leads me to think it's still fermenting. The basement was 65.1 degrees so I think if I move it upstairs to where it's about 70 it will probably finish and clean things up. The issue is I have no where to put it really. I'll have to figure that out. Either way, I think I'll gain a point or so in gravity which is ok with me!

I think 65 degrees is too cold for this yeast to ferment out all the way. I don't think I'll be buying this yeast again. SA05 is just easier for me to deal with given my basement temps.

Latest posts

Back