Brutus 10 - Control Panel - GFCI Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Before I ask this question, I scoured the forum for a solution and most of the topics are about spa panels and electric brewing.

Can someone help me figure out how to separate the posts on a GFCI outlet for my control panel? I am creating my control panel based on Clay's control panel below:

http://www.2nobledogsbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Wire-Diagram.jpg

I would like to use a GFCI outlet to control my 2 pumps instead of a regular outlet like he has on this diagram. Obviously, each pump needs to be able to operate separately. Is this even possible? Is there an easy way to add this safety feature?

Do I just plug my Control Panel into a GFCI outlet in my home and call it a day?

Thanks!

Jamey

You looking for something along these lines?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chugger-pump-modular-waterproof-gfci-box-480922/

Before I ask this question, I scoured the forum for a solution and most of the topics are about spa panels and electric brewing.

Can someone help me figure out how to separate the posts on a GFCI outlet for my control panel? I am creating my control panel based on Clay's control panel below:

http://www.2nobledogsbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Wire-Diagram.jpg

I would like to use a GFCI outlet to control my 2 pumps instead of a regular outlet like he has on this diagram. Obviously, each pump needs to be able to operate separately. Is this even possible? Is there an easy way to add this safety feature?

Do I just plug my Control Panel into a GFCI outlet in my home and call it a day?

Thanks!

Jamey

I'f I'm understanding your question properly, you want to separate the two hot terminals on the GFCI to have independent plugs.

On a GFCI outlet, you can't split them to have two different switches controlling each outlet. You'll only end up with the line (incoming power) plug protected. This is because everything on the load (outgoing power), including that second outlet, is protected by the GFCI first in line.

If a splittable GFCI existed, it would also have to have two test/reset buttons to work properly. You're going to need two GFCI outlets or put a GFCI outlet before the two switches and then split a normal outlet after the switches..

Can you "separate" , ( you wanting top and bottom openings of the outlet independent of each other, yes?), on a GFCI the same as on a standard outlet?

Watching to learn!

I have my answer. No you cannot separate posts on a GFCI, but you can build your own portable GFCI and plug your control panel into that on brew day.

Thanks everyone.

Jamey

PS. Stealthcruiser, keep on watching to learn.

Latest posts

Back