Brut IPA -- more enzyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a Brut IPA 9 days ago. Mashed at 143 for 20 minutes to get my pH down a bit, then dropped the temp to 140, pitched my glucoamylase and mashed for an additional 90 minutes. Getting ready to add my dry hops today, I decided to take a sample. The beer is currently sitting at 1.004, and tastes amazing, but I'd really like to get the gravity a little lower per the "style."

Should I add enzyme to the fermenter? A pinch of yeast nutrient? Or just let it ride and enjoy?

I didn't know it was a style. I regularly make 'dry' IPAs.

My advice: if the beer tastes good, why f**k with it? Messing with it is unlikely to make it better, but may very well make it worse.

Where did the gravity start? Mine went from 1.062 to .996. I went with putting the enzyme in the primary fermenter after 4 days.

Where did the gravity start? Mine went from 1.062 to .996. I went with putting the enzyme in the primary fermenter after 4 days.
OG was 1.057. Decided to add my dry hop shortly after starting this thread. If it finishes where I wanted it, around where yours finished, that's fine; if it stops at 1.004, I'm fine with that, too. I'm considering adding the enzyme to the fermenter next time (because there will totally be a next time!) instead of the mash. That said, the people who came up with this "style" say they have a better hop flavor and aroma profile when the enzyme is added to the mash, but that it dries out more when added to the fermenter. I'm more inclined toward flavor than "completeness," but I do love to tinker. Or maybe this looks like a job for Brulosophy!

I'm in the same boat as you. I used White-labs Ultra-Ferm in the mash, it only made it down to 1.009 after 5 days and fermentation has visibly slowed to the point it looks like it's finished. I added a bit more ultra-ferm to the fermenter. We'll see if she goes.

Next time I'm just going to add it at yeast pitch.

I used it in both, with a low mash step and a high mash step. I wanted to be super fermentable. I'm at 0.995 and it still seems to be dropping. This was suggested by a local brewery that makes a pretty tasty Brut.

My first batch did not drop very low, so I added more in the fermenter and it dropped to 1.001. It's carbing up right now so I'm not sure how it tastes yet, but the sample was good.

I'm in the same boat as you. I used White-labs Ultra-Ferm in the mash, it only made it down to 1.009 after 5 days and fermentation has visibly slowed to the point it looks like it's finished. I added a bit more ultra-ferm to the fermenter. We'll see if she goes.

Next time I'm just going to add it at yeast pitch.
I used it in both, with a low mash step and a high mash step. I wanted to be super fermentable. I'm at 0.995 and it still seems to be dropping. This was suggested by a local brewery that makes a pretty tasty Brut.

My first batch did not drop very low, so I added more in the fermenter and it dropped to 1.001. It's carbing up right now so I'm not sure how it tastes yet, but the sample was good.

I added ultra ferm at yeast pitch using WLP644 yeast and after 4 days it went from OG 1063 to 1008. After 5 days it was down to a 1006. I did not use a starter with the yeast, in hopes from my reading that I could stress the yeast out and add more fruity notes to go along with the hop profile. probably will let it sit a full 2 weeks and let the yeast do its thing.

Sadly, said brewery gave me this for their latest Brut, it’s not so clear or dry.

Attachments

• 1547250726486.jpeg
    1547250726486.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I'm not sure I follow, did you guys add enzymes? Enough of them?

If it's over 1.000... it's not dry, not like I'd expect the "brut" style to be, anyways.

That said, I think residual sugars are a boon... in wine-making they go through all sorts of troubles and chemical additions in order to conserve a bit of residual sweetness, which thankfully is not necessary in beer. "Brut" IPA can be nice, in so that it's a different experience, but I personally wouldn't qualify it as "better".

Haha, it’s not a strip club, and when they changed the keg, it got better, so I’m not sure what was up with keg#1

Back