Brunwater Errors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What underlying spreadsheet are you using? It works for me under LibreOffice version 6.

What happens if you delete the sodium bicarbonate addition? Not sure why you are adding that considering the target profile.

Using MS Excel.

The error occurs even when changing the salt additions to 0 or any other value.

Those tabs have not been modified, only using the grain bill and water modification tabs from a fresh download of the sheet.

Tabs 1 and 2 in Bru'nWater must be filled with the required data, in order for the spreadsheet to work.

When you say " water modification ", are you referring to " water adjustments "? If so, you are skipping important tabs.

If it is an older edition, your edition of Excel may at this juncture be antiquated and in need of an upgrade.

I'm not sure how its doing that. I find that entering that the data shown in the screenshots produces a pH estimate of 4.90.

There is no need to fill out the data in Tabs 1 and 2 since they aren't used if the dilution water percentage is set to 100%. Even erasing the entries on Tabs 1 and 2 doesn't cause an error.

I'm not sure what to tell you. The original file is saved as an Excel 97-2003 workbook to enhance backward compatibility. You would have to be using a truly ancient version for it not to work. Redownload and reenter is all I can advise.

Using Excel 2010.

I'll just forget about it for now, seems too much trouble.

For grins download a free copy of LibreOffice version 6 and see if it functions properly in LibreOffice Calc for you (as it does for me). You can always delete LibreOffice if it is not to your liking. Just trying to see if it works there for you.

The problem lies in the logic in the Grain Bill Input sheet.

When entering my grain bill I zero out the quantity and color columns which seems to cause the errors.

There seems to be a feeble attempt at making this work by having a default value of 1lb for the first grain and some color values for the rest hoping the user will simply overwrite those values and not want to zero it out.

There is also a default value of 0.10 g/Gal Baking Soda addition which should be zero to start.

To reproduce:

1.) Download the free version 1.21
2.) On the grain bill tab enter 0 for the quantity and zero for the color of the first grain (And the rest if you like)
3.) Now enter a quantity and color greater than zero for the first grain, the pH is never computed correctly again (always DIV#/0).

To recap:

1.) Set the default Baking Soda addition to zero
2.) Fix the bug where the pH does not compute correctly after the quantity and color have been zeroed.

Users can (and should) be allowed to enter information in any order unless the interface is such that it restricts them, which is not the case with a spreadsheet. Min/Max value testing also ensures that algorithms either work with those values or are not allowed to run when such extremes are present.

Oops! Sorry about the artifact of the 0.1 g/gal baking soda addition. That shouldn't be there. It's zero'd out now.

I was able to finally make the program recreate the error you point out. It took several attempts to get it to finally invoke that error, but you're right that once it happens, you can't get out of it. It's now fixed in version 1.22. Sorry for your troubles.

Back