Bru'n water vs Brewer's Friend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjm13

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just input my recipe into bru'n water, and brewer's friend, and got 2 very different mash pH estimations. (I'm a nurse and a bit of a control freak, so I check everything at least twice) Bru'n water predicted 5.1, and brewer's friend predicted 5.45. Which one is right? I keep going back to see if I entered something differently in one of the 2 programs, but I don't see anything. It seems no two programs, web sites etc give the exact same instructions or predictions, which is fine, but this is a really big difference.
Which one should I trust? Or should I split the difference and go from there?
Any and all input is welcome
thanks!

All are calculations only. If you are that much of a control freak, you should get a good pH meter and test your recipe against what was calculated. I use Bru'n Water and cant speak for Brewers Friend. And while I haven't actually tested with a pH meter, I figure that Bru'n Water is likely close enough for me. I'll eventually get a meter but its been pretty low on my list of must have gear.

Bru'n Water has always been just about spot-on for me. That was until my last brew... dumped in my grain bill, figured out my additions and BW calculated out my expected pH at 5.35 which is what I was looking for... seemed odd though that I was having to add a couple mL of lactic acid to the mash when I didn't really expect that, but checked my inputs a second time and didn't see anything off so went with it... Oops... ended up with a mash pH of 5.00! Couldn't really figure out why until I checked my inputs a THIRD time and noticed that while I had put the grain bill in correctly (at least the NAMES of the grains), I did not put the weights in for anything other than my base malt!!! Anyway, when I went and filled in the correct weights, lo and behold, BW calculated the expected pH at 5.00 just as I had measured... so even when I screwed up, BW matched!

Anyway... +1 for BW for me... would love it to be idiot-proof and tell me when I miss an entry like this, but this was on me - my gut said something was off, but I didn't really listen.

Bru'n Water has always been just about spot-on for me. That was until my last brew... dumped in my grain bill, figured out my additions and BW calculated out my expected pH at 5.35 which is what I was looking for... seemed odd though that I was having to add a couple mL of lactic acid to the mash when I didn't really expect that, but checked my inputs a second time and didn't see anything off so went with it... Oops... ended up with a mash pH of 5.00! Couldn't really figure out why until I checked my inputs a THIRD time and noticed that while I had put the grain bill in correctly (at least the NAMES of the grains), I did not put the weights in for anything other than my base malt!!! Anyway, when I went and filled in the correct weights, lo and behold, BW calculated the expected pH at 5.00 just as I had measured... so even when I screwed up, BW matched!

Anyway... +1 for BW for me... would love it to be idiot-proof and tell me when I miss an entry like this, but this was on me - my gut said something was off, but I didn't really listen.

Ok. I'm sold. I'll go with Bru n' water's calculations, at east until I can pony up for a pH meter.
Thanks for the feedback!

Bru'n water ftw. Ive run the same numbers in both though and theyre both pretty stinkin close to the same so either way you should be fine

Bru'n Water is where it's at. Been using it for about 6 months and checking the PH and its always within .05PH usually closer. Easy to use too.

Back