Bru'n Water RO Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaxweb

Reaction score
The worksheet profile for RO water is shown below. I assume these values will vary based on the efficiency of the RO process. For example, PRIMO RO water is labeled 0g sodium.

Calcium. Magnesium. Sodium. Sulfate. Chloride. Bicarbonate
RO Water.
1​
0​
8​
1​
4​
16​

I assume these values will vary based on the efficiency of the RO process.

They will indeed. But assuming a truly functional RO system and no "add-back" mineralization (commonly found in commercial "RO" water for taste reasons) the values will be so low as to approach deionized or even distilled levels that incremental variation doesn't really matter.

My RO system with a fresh membrane takes my ~300 tdi well water (mostly carbonates) down to single digits, but even if it was in the multiple 10s I could just as easily use distilled values for base water with little chance of discerning any difference :)

Cheers!

If I'm not mistaken, that Primo report says there is 8 ppm sodium. The fact that there is more sodium and chloride compared to most other ions is due to them being monovalent ions that pass through the RO membrane easier than divalent or polyvalent ions.

With that said, the RO profile presented in Bru'n Water is an example of what a properly functioning RO machine should output. But its not every system will put out. The type and condition of the membrane and the quality of the feed water will make a large difference in the output quality. But when you consider the low concentrations from most RO machines, the difference between the Bru'n Water profile and your actual water quality is probably pretty small. I doubt anyone would taste a difference.

Latest posts

Back