Brun' water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bschaefer66

Reaction score
I know there is a way on the paid version to change all salt additions to mash only by selecting the "Add Sparging Water mineral additions to the Mash?" drop down box change no->yes, but I was wondering if there was a way to change this to some not all

For example, I am brewing a light colored ale and the estimated mash PH with my gypsum addition is 5.64. If I change all additions to mash, my PH drops to 5.19. I would rather adjust my mash additions until I reach my desired PH and throw the rest in the sparge water

is this possible or even desirable?

No way to do what you mention. In addition, delaying the addition doesn't correct the overly low pH that you'll incur in the mash.

You need to correct the pH more affirmatively by either reducing any acid addition or including a base addition (if there is no acid used in the mash).

Ok, that being said, which will give a better profile - add salt additions to both sparge and mash then reduce PH with acid, or all additions in the mash and include base (pickling lime )

Based on the result that you'd drop the mash pH too low when adding all the minerals to the mash, its apparent that you're better off by splitting the minerals and adding the acid. This is the typical way. Adding a base should only be contemplated as a last draw in most pale beer brewing. The only case where I've found a base to be needed in pale beer brewing, is when I've added a bunch of calcium salts (like a pale ale profile).

Hi, Im new to this forum so I apologize if this question is in the wrong thread.
I'm preparing to perform a step mash using water infusions and I'm curious whether or not I should add minerals and acid to my estimated final mash water volumes or just to the initial Mash-in volume? I think I read somewhere that I should adjust the strike volume to achieve the proper pH and mineral content and then consider my 2nd and 3rd infusions as sparge water. Is this true? Any comment on the benefits/pitfalls would be appreciated. Thanks

I recommend adjusting all your mashing water to the same profile and add the infusions as needed. Yes, you could add all the salts and acids to the first mashing water addition, but it will almost certainly result in the pH not being where you were targeting.

A problem with this advice crops up when Baking Soda, Calcium Hydroxide, or Calcium Carbonate are to be added. These minerals should not typically be added to sparge water, unless you plan to acidify whereby to remove the Alkalinity they add to the sparge water immediately afterward.

Back