Brun Water Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been playing around with Brun water and want to use it to brew a NEIPA. What style of beer should I choose in the list that is best suited for this style of beer ?

I don't like a ton of sulfate, and the pale ale profile has 300 ppm or so, so never actually do a "profile". The idea is to make a beer that tastes great to you, not to actually hit a profile.

I go with the "less is more" approach and just do calcium of 75 ppm or so, sulfate of 75 or so, and chloride of 120 or so for my NE IPA.

For other pale ales and IPAs, I tend to go with the same amount of calcium, a higher sulfate (135-150) and less chloride, about 50-60 ppm.

Target a pH of 5.3 or so, a little higher is fine also. That's about it!

Agree with Yooper 100%.

NEIPAs tend to have a higher chloride to sulfate ratio. 2:1 to 1.25:1 is good and keeping chloride under 200ppm for any ratio you use. Some people do like chloride a little higher but from reading other people posts most like it under 200ppm which is what I always recommend. Only way to find out what you like is to brew it a few times with different ratios and different amounts.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate the feed back. Just finally pieced together my first all grain set up after a year or so of extract.

There is a write up on water for NE IPA's in the May/June 2017 issue of Zymurgy that presents recommendations on ion levels and pH targets for that style.

Back