Bru’n water for Extract no boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve actually read it’s much higher, something upwards of 15 ibus can be indistinguishable by most tasters. Im pretty sure I saved the article, I wanted to become a certified BJCP judge

I'm pretty sure it's smaller, closer to 3 IBUs.

But could be wrong.

Are there similar values for sulfates and chlorides (for example people don't notice a difference between 30 ppm and 35 ppm)?

I think it's in the realm of 100-200 ppm where people can taste differences. Like 150 ppm sulfate vs. 250 ppm sulfate, *maybe* somebody could detect a difference. And at 150 vs. 350 ppm, a little more likely.

I think it's in the realm of 100-200 ppm where people can taste differences. Like 150 ppm sulfate vs. 250 ppm sulfate, *maybe* somebody could detect a difference. And at 150 vs. 350 ppm, a little more likely.

thinking out loud here: So it looks like one practical approach may be to start with relative extremes for salt additions and work towards the middle. As a point of reference, Learning Lab: Water Treatment for All offers a set of relative bounds for sulfate-heavy and chloride-heavy treatments in a recipe.

I played around with something like this early in 2019. I was not having much luck, then I stepped back and did some calcs and found that you have to add a lot of Gypsum to push your beer up to the 200 ppm range for Sulfate. Much more than 2 grams in 1 L of water.

Looking at the spreadsheet I created for this, to simulate 145 ppm of Sulfate in a beer, you need to make a solution of 200 ml water + 5.2 g Gypsum, then add 2 ml of that solution to a 200 ml beer sample. To simulate 100 ppm of Chloride, you would do the same but add 3.1 g of Calcium Chloride to the solution.

After reviewing the various approaches, I did some "back of the envelope" calculations to get a small solution (0.2g gypsum in 100ml distilled water) so I could work with teaspoon / tablespoon additions in a 12 oz bottle. For the specific beer (probably along the lines of early 2000s APA), I found (this time anyway) that tablespoon additions were noticeable. Next step will be to put together a lookup table: 1 tablespoon of solution is an x.x gram addition to the recipe. Tablespoon measurements (and 12 oz bottle pours) are not precise measurement, but they may be to be "close enough".

Back