Brown Malt substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handsaw

Reaction score
Is there an acceptable substitute for brown malt. I need to brew a recipe that calls for it and I can't get any before Sunday when I intend to brew. Neither of the LHBS have it.

Some might say Special Roast, but it's not really the same thing... I would say you could roast your own brown malt (there are threads here on how-to), but they suggest letting your home-roasted grains age for a couple weeks before brewing with them...

What are you making?

I'm making a robust porter. The recipe is on Brew Toad and is called For Richer or for Porter. I've brewed it once before.

I thought I had seen or heard somewhere where there was a combination of two malts in a certain proportion that made a reasonable substitute.

I believe Crystal 60 would be an OK substitute for brown malt. From what I recall, it has a similar lovibond

I believe Crystal 60 would be an OK substitute for brown malt. From what I recall, it has a similar lovibond

Lovibond is for determining color. You might have very different flavors with the same Lovibond. I'm not discounting it as a substitute, just noting that the flavors might be way different.

Lovibond is for determining color. You might have very different flavors with the same Lovibond. I'm not discounting it as a substitute, just noting that the flavors might be way different.

You're absolutely right. I believe brown malt would give a toastier note as opposed to just the caramelly sweetness that crystal 60 would give.

Yeah C-60 and brown malt are not even close, that would be a bad choice. You won't really find a true sub but depending on the rest of the recipe you may want to add in some malts with similar roast/cocoa contribution. Maybe something like coffee malt or the palest chocolate you can find - but in lower quantities.

Thanks folks. You have convinced me to brew a different beer this weekend and order the brown malt for this recipe.

There is quite a bit of variety in Amber malts regarding the roast. Thomas Fawcett's amber can be 110 EBC.

Yeah, if you can't get brown malt the Fawcett amber is the next closest thing. You might want to up it slightly and adjust colour with patent malt.

Kiln coffee (mfb?) or Special roast (briess) would be the closest, but neither are exceptionally close. You could use a mix of base malt and pale chocolate 50/50 if you cant get the above.

Back