Brown malt as a base grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiSoloII

Splitting the beer atom since 1996
Reaction score
As I understand it, Brown malt was historically the basis of most porters. I know the grains are malted better now, but is there a reason I shouldn't use it as a base grain in a recipe? Beersmith recommends a max of 10% in their charts.

Thanks,

Dave

Subscribed - I have 25lbs of brown malt that I've been wanting to do something with.

As I understand it, Brown malt was historically the basis of most porters. I know the grains are malted better now, but is there a reason I shouldn't use it as a base grain in a recipe? Beersmith recommends a max of 10% in their charts.
Brown malt used to be made in a different way. Modern brown malt has no diastatic power and can't be used as a base malt.

If you want to use brown malt as a base you'd have to make your own. It is possible, if you don't mind a bit of a fire risk.

Brown malt used to be made in a different way. Modern brown malt has no diastatic power and can't be used as a base malt.

If you want to use brown malt as a base you'd have to make your own. It is possible, if you don't mind a bit of a fire risk.

Can you elaborate? How was it made differently? I know diastatic power is lessended, but is it absent?

Dave

Can you elaborate? How was it made differently? I know diastatic power is lessended, but is it absent?
The way modern brown malt is roasted kills all the enzymes. The older method involves kilning the malt at a very high temperature for a very brief time. That colours the malt without destroying the enzymes.

hamiltont/ patto1ro. Thank you very much. I have now learned something today that I did not know. The day is a success. :rockin::fro:

Dave

A very timely thread for me as I tapped an NBA this evening that I brewed using 15% Brown malt. At 15%, in my brew, it leant a definate bitterness, which was not paticularly astringent but was very detectable. I also taste coffee which tasted almost like 'coffee liquour' not really appropriate to the style. FWIW I would suggest keeping the percentage under 10% if you have not used it before.

Back