Brown hop oil balls in kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJGeorge

Reaction score
Hey guys, have any of you using a lot of hops in the kettle experience these small brown balls? See the pic. If you smear them between your fingers it’s straight hop oils. Any idea why this happens? This is not making its way into the fermenter.

Attachments

• FC759FFE-274B-4458-B675-FDA00CEC0955.jpeg
    FC759FFE-274B-4458-B675-FDA00CEC0955.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 68
Never seen anything like that before - and my neipas have quite a lot of hops in the kettle.
Is the color of those dots true? Because they're quite dark.
Hop "schmutz" I clean off things like spiders and IC chillers is pretty much yellow...

Cheers!

Never seen anything like that before - and my neipas have quite a lot of hops in the kettle.
Is the color of those dots true? Because they're quite dark.
Hop "schmutz" I clean off things like spiders and IC chillers is pretty much yellow...

Cheers!
These are dark brown and is like hop grease. I only added 2mL of hopshots at the beginning of the boil. Maybe from that? I’ve had this in past batches as well.

Ah - ok, you didn't mention the use of hop extract, and while I don't use that stuff I do suspect that's what you're looking at from having read posts of similar experience with them...

Cheers!

So yeah you need to mention that you used resin. those hop shots are typically for ibus and are intended to be added at 60. They need heat, time, and movement to be dissolved into the wort.

how are you adding the hop oils?
From a syringe into the kettle. It’s hop extract.
So yeah you need to mention that you used resin. those hop shots are typically for ibus and are intended to be added at 60. They need heat, time, and move to be dissolved into the wort.
They were boiling for an hour so should have been dissolved. I whirlpooled at 160. Could be high oil late addition hops?

They were boiling for an hour so should have been dissolved. I whirlpooled at 160. Could be high oil late addition hops?
It’s definitely not from hop pellets or cones. It is the hop shot

Last edited:

Ive found less build up on the kettle by warming the extract up in some warm water so it flows easily and then stir well making sure it is evenly dispersed. Can be messy but I like the extract for bittering.

Back