Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcook

Reaction score
I am throwing together a brew day this weekend with very little (if no) preparation. Originally I was thinking of a modified version of Mike “Tasty” McDole’s Janet‘s Brown Ale. The difference being with a lower ABV; my personal preference being 5.5% ish. The hang up being that I do not have any Northern Brewer hops on hand. Could I go to the local homebrew store to buy more? Sure, but I’m trying to avoid it. I realize it won’t be a Janet’s Brown, but here’s what I am thinking:

9.5 (or 10) # of Golden Promise
1# crystal 40L
1# Carapils
1# Wheat Malt
.5# Chocolate Malt.

@ 60 (no northern brewer)
@ 15 ( no norther brewer)
@ 10 1.5 ounces of Cascade
@ 0 1.5 ounces of Cascade

2.5 ounces Centennial dry hop

i‘be got Amarillo, Galaxy, El Dorado, Magnum & Willamette on hand. I’m thinking some Magnum@60 for a clean bitterring charge and an ounce of Amarillo@15. Agree? Disagree? Any critical feedback is wecome.

Tim

I think the magnum for clean bittering is a good choice. I’d drop the carapils and go with 10lbs of golden promise, but that’s just my 2 cents.

I do a brown ale recipe that uses Columbus for bittering and Willamette for late addition. It's one of my favorite beers.

I’m going to take your advice by increasing the GP and dropping the Carapils. Also by using Magnum as the 60 minute hop addition.

The original recipe had Crystal 15 & 40 in it. Don’t have 20L and cannot find 15L. I decided to drop it. Unfortunately the color is a bit low. Also, I am considering pale chocolate vs. chocolate malt. Any thoughts on that?

I'd think Pale Chocolate would go very well. That and the normal one perhaps as a combo in case you have doubts?

The Cascade / Centennial / Amarillo are interesting choices. If it sounds good then by all means go for it! I'd typically be thinking Willamette from what you have on hand, but you of course can try whatever you'd like.

it‘s always interesting where your recipe starts to where it end up. I believe the following is what I will brew on Saturday or Sunday:

10.5 # Golden Promise
1# Wheat malt
1# Chocolate malt
8 ounces Crystal 40L
8 ounces Pale Chocolate malt

.25 ounce Magnum@60
1 ounce Willamette@15
1.5 ounces Cascades@5
1.5 ounces Cascades@0 (steep for 20 minutes)

Cal Ale yeast

dry hop 2.5 ounces of Centennial

I plan to BIAB and my water is shut off in Central NY due to the weather. So basically remove all hops after the steep then no chill/slow chill but leave it in my cold garage.

thanks for all the input and suggestions. Critiques are always welcome. Cheers

One last critique: with a pound of chocolate and half a pound of pale chocolate you’re well out of brown ale and into porter territory and potentially a pretty robust one at that. I would consider cutting the regular chocolate to 1/4 lbs and either leave the pale chocolate at half pound or cut that to a 1/4 as well.

i will take that into mind. Probably cut both. Thanks again.
Happy Thanksgiving!

One last critique: with a pound of chocolate and half a pound of pale chocolate you’re well out of brown ale and into porter territory and potentially a pretty robust one at that. I would consider cutting the regular chocolate to 1/4 lbs and either leave the pale chocolate at half pound or cut that to a 1/4 as well.

Agreed. 3/4 pound or so could be pushing it. For a pale chocolate experiment consider maybe a half pound of it and 1/4 pound "normal" chocolate?

Then again w/ the Cali yeast and Cascade & Centennial you're off in an interesting direction anyhow so no real worries! But, yeah, for something you could call "brown", about half the dark grains would be closer to the norm.

Latest posts

Back