Brown Ale time before kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElCid79

Reaction score
I have a brown ale that a brewed about a week or so ago. I am anxious to get my kegerator up and running and brew another batch. So I would like to put that brown ale into the keg and force carbonate it in the near future. What are your thoughts as to the earliest I can do this with decent results? I have done it very quickly in the past with some whit beers. Thoughts?

Ales typically need 2-3 weeks to finish fermenting and clean up fermentation by products. This timeframe can be reduced with quality fermentation practices (proper pitching rate, optimized fermentation temp, aeration). So, in your case, about a week.

Sounds great... In this case I think I nailed most of these things... Temps were low 60s throughout the entire fermentation. I used dry yeast so there was a rather large pitch... And I aerated the snot out of it before putting it in...

lol. this can be a bit of a game. it's really a beer to beer or batch to batch basis. if you have a boozey belgian time is the absolute best thing. you almost can't age it too long. if you brew hoppy stuff then it becomes more of a game. i base it on gravity. below 1.060 usually finishes in a week. my ferm temps are usually warmer so i finish quick. 1.060-1.80 will get 7-14 days depending on the OG. barleywines and super high gravity brews will sit in primary for a month. i then keg them and leave them to secondary in the keg until i'm ready to try it (can't wait any longer).

rule of thumb: bigger the beer, more you wait. only exception is beers with lots of hop flavors. those ones i keep an eye on. once i reach my assumed FG i pull them and keg/carb immediately. generally takes 7-10 days. i add dry hops 4-7 days prior to when i pull it. i aim for 4 but sometimes i don't get around to it.

Back