Brotherly Love APA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassaholic

Reaction score
I've been toying around with an APA recipe using Simcoe and Mosaic. I haven't brewed with either of these, but I figure it'll make for a nice combination. I think I'm on the higher end of IBUs for a pale ale, but I like a hoppy beer. Here's my recipe so far:

Brotherly Love APA

OG: 1.059
FG: 1.015
IBU: 50

Grain Bill

4 lb Dry Malt Extract - Light -47.1%
3 lb American - Pale 2-Row - 35.3%
1 lb American - Red Wheat 38 - 11.8%
0.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L - 5.9%

8.5 lb Total

Hops

1 oz Simcoe @ FWH
0.5 oz Mosaic @ 60 min
0.5 oz Mosaic @ 10 min
1 oz Simcoe @ 5 min
1 oz Mosaic @ Flameout

Wyeast 1056 American Ale fermented @ 68F

I know a lot of people pair Simcoe with Amarillo or Citra, but I want to see what it tastes like without being covered by a fruitier hop. That's why I figured to pair it with Mosaic since it's derived from Simcoe and shares a lot of characteristics, but its a bit fruitier. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Since Mosaic is the first born offspring of Simcoe, Child Love would be more appropriate, but then again that's illegal.

I like your recipe overall and just have minor changes based on preference. I would prefer slightly lesser amounts of red wheat and crystal for the sake of adding more 2-row. Mash this around 147 F to offset the limited fermentability of the DME. I would add a dryhop and go with a traditional bitter of a lesser amount. Shift more hop focus in the late boil as well. Ferment at 65 F.

From my experience with tasting a couple of single hop Mosaic beers, the hop is more fruity than anything. It is not very piney or dank like Simcoe can be sometimes.

Hah I have a feeling most people wouldn't want to drink a beer called child lover, but I agree with you on the bittering hop. Maybe I'll go with .5 oz of warrior and move the rest of the additions later.

Also I was planning on mashing low, around 148 or so, but was wondering what the difference between red and white wheat malts flavor wise? I was partially using it for the color instead of adding more crystal.

Red and White Wheat are the same Lovibond (color). There is really no meaningful difference. Some brewers claim that red wheat offers a slightly richer flavor while others do not.

Huh thanks for the info. I figured that red wheat would add more color. Do you think I should use a darker crystal malt or does in not really matter that much?

For IPAs, I prefer no crystal malt all the way up to C40. I rarely go as dark as C60, but a lot of people do. Use of C80 and above is quite rare in IPAs. Things can get really pruney, toasty, rich, and sweet the darker you go. % of crystal malt matters though, too. 2% of C120 would be a hell of a lot better than 8% C80.

Back