Brooklyn Brewery cookie jar porter clone attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwaltz1313

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got Friday off and am thinking of giving another shot at attempting to clone Brooklyn Brewery's Cookie Jar Porter.

The last time around I think I got the aroma pretty close so I'm tweaking things a little. I was wondering if anyone whose been lucky enough to have this beer has given it a shot or done something similar themselves.

(on a 5gal brew)
6lbs amber lme
.5lb aromatic
.5lb Choc malt
.5lb special B
.25lb black patent
.75lb whole golden oats
.5lb British crystal 80L

Northern Brewer 1oz 60 min
Perle 1oz 15 mins
2 Vanilla beans at 15 min
1lb pureed raisins 1min
.5lb honey 5 mins
1lb dark molasses 10mins
1 tsp nutmeg 5mins
1 tsp Cinnamon 5mins

Any comments and/or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

How did this recipe turn out the second time? I just read about this beer today and am really interested in trying to make something similar (although looking to do it AG)

this one was further off from the first...

i know it's a "porter" with a nice plum\raison flavour but my limited brewing skill hasn't allowed me to really match what they did. When the fall comes back around i'll maybe give it a another shot..

I've been interested in cloning this beer for awhile - glad someone else gave it a go. Here's the recipe I came up with and will probably try in about two weeks. Feedback greatly appreciated.

3 gal batch
58% 5 lbs Warminster Floor-Malted Maris Otter
9% 12 oz American Crystal 40L
9% 12 oz American Crystal 120L
6% 8 oz Flaked Oats, Toasted
6% 8 oz Simpsons Dark Crystal
6% 8 oz Golden Naked Oats
3% 4 oz Honey
3% 4 oz Brown Sugar, Light
1% 2 oz Chocolate Malt

0.75 oz Northern Brewer, 60 mins
0.5 oz Willamette, 15 mins
White Labs British Ale (WLP005)

1 lb golden raisins puree, secondary
1 vanilla bean, secondary

I went with the C120 for raisin flavor and Dark Crystal for the roasted sugar. Instead of doing 1 lb Naked Golden Oats, I want to sub in 1/2 pound toasted flaked oats since Radical Brewing claims it adds an oatmeal cookie flavor and aroma. I'm forgoing spices.

Any thoughts? Too much crystal maybe?

I tweaked my recipe above to include .5lb Chocolate Malt, decreased the C40 and C120 to .25lb each, and removed the Dark Crystal and honey.

I basically ended up with a raisin/vanilla bomb. After 3 months, the flavors mellowed but still dominated the taste. This was one of my first times trying to make my own recipe and if I rebrewed it now, I'd make it a lot simpler and take a few notes from the Maltose Falcons' Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Ale. Their base with chocolate malt and some black patent replacing the carafa seems like it would be close.

Latest posts

Back