Brooklyn Brew Shop's Grapefruit Honey Ale - Tips and Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 weeks in in primary, preparing to bottle this weekend!

20170303_175311.jpg

No worries - looks great!

Exactly the same as mine - I expected it to be a bit lighter the first time I brewed it, but it looks like that's what it is, and it tastes wonderful!

Sweet! I can't wait to try it ;) I'm thinking of making the Brooklyn beer shop spring lager next, looks like an interesting brew!

I've been looking at that recipe for a year now, and I do want to try it, too. I'm guessing it would be really nice ~ :mug:

Bottled the brew a couple hours ago, I used a little over 2 tbs of honey as I used to. I had forgotten exactly how much honey to use for 1 gal batch prime. Bbs says 3 tbs but that was over carbonated for me the first time I used that much and adjusted a little less.

I'm guessing everything will be just fine, and it's going to be good!

AI agree, 3 tablespoons is far too much. I usually use 1.5 to 2 tablespoons of whatever the recipe calls for (honey, maple syrup, agave nectar etc.), depending on how much carbonation I am going for. With 2, there is sometimes just a bit too much carbonation, but I have found that putting the bottles in the freezer for about 10 or 15 minutes (as long as it doesn't start slushing up) before opening will keep them from gushing.

It looks like I'll be making another batch of this soon. I have a friend who does amazing work with rifle stocks; both he and his wife enjoy sampling different grapefruity beers.

Meanwhile, I have a Herter's Model U9 in .22/250 arriving any day now, with a beautiful walnut stock that needs refinishing in order to get rid of the 1960s faux redwood look. My friend did an outstanding job on my Herter's J9 in .308, so I proposed a trade and he happily accepted.

I'll brew this new batch pretty much exactly as I brewed my second batch - if there are any noteworthy happenings, I'll post them here. :mug:

Double batch sounds good! I've had 2 of the original batch and they were great. I have 2 more in the fridge overnight for tomorrow! Everyone has liked it also. Good brew. I just wish I could keep my fermenting temps down a bit, living in Miami and fermenting at room temp that varies from 72F to 76F at home is not the best...any suggestions?

Hi, MB - unfortunately, I usually have the opposite problem, trying to keep my beer from getting too cold! :eek:

I know a lot of folks here talk about improvising a "swamp cooler," and that might be your best option. Other folks rig up a mini-fridge with a temperature controller, but I'm not up on the various options with that. One day I plan to pick up an Inkbird 308 and see what it's all about, but currently, there isn't too much reason for me to do so.

It looks like I'll be making another batch of this soon. I have a friend who does amazing work with rifle stocks; both he and his wife enjoy sampling different grapefruity beers.

Meanwhile, I have a Herter's Model U9 in .22/250 arriving any day now, with a beautiful walnut stock that needs refinishing in order to get rid of the 1960s faux redwood look. My friend did an outstanding job on my Herter's J9 in .308, so I proposed a trade and he happily accepted.

I'll brew this new batch pretty much exactly as I brewed my second batch - if there are any noteworthy happenings, I'll post them here. :mug:

Well, better late than never; I will be getting this project started this weekend, unless we get another heat wave (all summer long) or blizzard that knocks the power out (earlier this week)...this time of year, it can go either way, in Montana!

One thing I didn't mention - I'll be brewing this beer for the first time using the recipe in the book, rather than the pre-packaged mix. I wil, as I said above, incorporate my own modifications used in my second batch, which worked out very well.

I was (finally) able to brew those two batches over this past weekend; completing them during the evening hours between Sunday and Monday, 8 and 9 October. I could probably have brewed them together, but elected to brew them one-at-a-time, just because I enjoy the process. With all equipment and ingredients cleaned, prepared, set up and ready to go, each brewing session took right about 4.5 hours. I probably could have done it faster; however, I was taking it easy and not rushing any stage of the process.

I set up everything for two identical brews, and followed the same plan as I did with my second brewing of this beer, as stated above. The Amarillo hops had a slightly different AA percentage (8% vs 8.2% for the ones I used before), so I modified the hops schedule just a bit in order to compensate; for future reference, here is the modified hops schedule:

0.8 oz @ 60
0.1 oz @ 30
0.12 oz @ 1

I doubt that this was really necessary, but what the heck - it gave me something to do.

In spite of my efforts, I did have a couple of minor glitches. On the first batch, I ended up adding the final hop addition (which should have been at 1 minute) at 5 minutes, along with the grapefruit zezt. Not a huge deal, but I am noting it here, as a reminder and in order to note any negative consequences. With the second batch, my mash temps were slightly high for a few minutes; once again, I doubt that it is going to result in any large problem over-all.

This is the first time that I have prepared Grapefruit Honey Ale using the recipe in the book, rather than with a pre-packaged mix. As far as I can tell, everything is the same, and I believe we are off to a great start. The S04 is definitely working, but the fermentation "seems" to be a little slow. I have not seen any large amount of activity with the blow-off tube, but as I recall this yeast is a "slow and steady" performer, so I am not too concerned. We are going to be out of town for a week next week, and I intend to simply let the beer do its thing, with no interference from me.

Tomorrow night, I'll replace the blow-off tubes with air-locks, and we will go from there.

More as it happens, etc. &c....

Ron

things are proceeding well with this double batch, as far as I can tell. Fermentation seems slow, but both batches are experiencing it at exactly the same rate from what I can see, so I am assuming it is normal. It is possible that the temperatures are down a bit in the closet where I am fermenting. I had a thermometer in there but it "mysteriously disappeared" and I haven't had the chance to get another one yet. Will take care of that tonight after work, most likely.

I was going to switch to the air-lock tonight, but might wait one more day to see if the pace picks up.

At this early stage, it looks like the beer might be a bit lighter than my previous attempts, which always seemed a little darker to me than expected. Right now, it looks more like I would expect it to look. It is too early to tell for sure, of course, but I will keep an eye on it.

There really isn't much else to report - more as it happens, etc. & c....

Ron

After cold-crashing the beer a little longer than intended, I bottled this beer last night.

Everything was routine and normal with it; The transfer to bottling bucket was a little dicey, because my mini auto-siphon, for some reason, was acting up. But, we got it done and the bottling itself was without incident. I was pleased to see that the beer was very clear and had a colour very similar to the one in this photo from a previous batch:

Grapefruit%20Honey%20Ale%20-%201JAN17.jpg

I decided to use the Brewers Best Carbonation Tablets, as I have done before; I wanted a "medium" carbonation, so I added 4 tablets to each bottle.

I was able to get 18 bottles from this double batch, and almost a 19th. The resulting sample was very good, with a lot of character from the Amarillo Hops and a nice touch of that special bitterness that only grapefruit can provide. These worked very well with the malts, which were quite enticing in aroma. Since it had been cold-crashing, the beer was nearly ice-cold; as the temperature came up a bit, everything seemed to get even better, the aroma, the flavor etc.

I think it's going to turn out pretty well; hopefully my friend will like it, as he is getting 2/3 of this double batch! :mug:

I'd say that this batch turned out really well:

0fLNN4c.jpg

I like the colour and the flavour very much - the aroma is also very nice, with the Amarillo hops living up to expectations. I tried a previous bottle, and it didn't seem to have much head retention - however, after waiting another week or so, I'm sure that issue has resolved itself.

In all, a very solid, good tasting beer that I was very happy to brew again; one that I will continue to brew very often in the future.

Hi, Tony - this is indeed a good one, and I'm betting you would enjoy it. If I remember correctly, you have the book? Give it a shot, and let me know what you think.

Yep, I've got both of their books. I'll have to try brewing that among several others they've got listed that sound interesting. Maybe I ought to just buy 10+ pounds of 2 row along a few assorted packages of specialty grains and hops and go through their books.

I would definitely recommend doing so. I haven't really found a bad concept or recipe yet. The only one that I had problems with (the Peanut Butter Porter) was due to my own execution, and not a fault of the recipe.

Suggestion: I've kind of gotten into a "seasonal" mindset where my own brewing is concerned; not as a hard-and-fast rule, but something that I do keep in mind. It might be worth it to go through the "Spring" section of both books, and pick out two or three to try. This could give you some guidance on which grains, malts and hops to buy.

Hmm, okay. Thanks for that idea. Going through the seasonal sections sounds like a good idea, at least to get an idea on what grains, etc. to buy and then brew for the spring.

Well, I got a good start on this seasonal brewing, by brewing a recipe that's in the spring section of their book. The EveryDay IPA, a 1G all grain recipe taken from their "Beer Making Book", one of my favorite recipes from them. I substituted Chinook hops for both the Columbus bittering hops and the Cascade flavor & aroma hops. It seems like every time I bought that recipe from them, they had substituted Chinook hops for the Cascade and then I read that Columbus and Chinook are similar so I just used Chinook for both of them. It smells good.

Hey, Tony - sorry to take so long to reply. Sounds like you've got a good start! I haven't made the Everyday IPA, but my #2 son has, and I sampled a bit. For an IPA, I'd have to say it was the best I've ever had...and I'm not an IPA guy....

Let us know how it goes - if you start a thread about it, please share the link! :)

Back