Broken Thermometer - Tasty Beer - What to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmorgan

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I made a Pumpkin Spice beer and busted my floating thermometer during my whirlpool.

I went ahead and finished the process (fermented and bottled).

I just gave it a little taste and it is so good.

I'm about 99% sure all the glass from the thermometer settled to the bottom as well as all the "lead" shot from the bottom of the thermometer.

My questions:

1. Should I trust that all the glass settled?
2. Is that really lead in the bottom of the thermometer?

I don't want to drink the beer, nor do I want anyone else to drink it, if there is possibly glass in there or if that lead is really lead.

Looking forward to any and everyone's input as to what to do.

Thanks,

Allan

Even if it is lead (most likely not) lead's health threat is primarily prolonged exposure.

The glass is a different matter. There is no way to guarantee a complete lack of glass unless you filtered in through an "x" micron filter. That said, think about your bottling process and the path glass shards would have to take to get to a bottle...are you comfortable with the risk it presents.

If it was me, I would likely drink it but not share it. I also am very risk tolerant.

Many thanks for your reply.

I filtered through...well, a filter with a fine micron filter that I have used a number of times with many brews.

My thinking is there is no way glass got through, and I'm comfortable to drink, but not share.

So, right now I'm happy to keep and drink, but not share. Happy and sad at the same time. :)

Allan

My first instinct would be toss it (right away). Clearly never share, that you got, but hmmm, if you filter it, then no glass shards can enter you, only very small glass bits at best. Maybe some health care professional can offer up some anecdote that might caution you further, I can't help you there. My brother had same issue and tossed the wort.

I don't think I could drink it. But it would pain me to dump it. Guess that's why I don't use glass thermometers. ;)

Sorry, I would toss. Just not worth any risk to life or health no matter how good the beer is.

I doubt there is any lead. Glass shards? It probably broke with no really tiny pieces that could get through the filter. I would drink but not share. And if you start peeing red......... :eek:

I would dump it even with the filter. Every sip I would wonder if I was drinking glass and ruin it for me anyway.

Well here's a solution.

1) Call manufacturer and see if lead is actually used. I highly doubt you would experience any acute issues from the amount found in the thermometer, if it is even lead. But it's peace of mind.

2) The filter assuming a 5-1 micron I bet would take out all glass. You should be buenos. But that's just me.

I wouldn't sweat the glass - it will settle. Just don't rack off the bottom.

Now the shot on the other hand... no way I am drinking it if it's lead. If you could get a couple of the pellets you could test them, as lead is very soft.

The Glass will settle to the bottom and so will the pellets. I would leave a inch or so of beer on top of the yeast and then pitch that.. This said I am also risk tolerant but the risk is very small.:mug:

A little late on this, but this happened to me, twice, once inside my mash tun and another inside my brew kettle. I didn't worry about the stuff inside my mash tun, as the grain filter will do its magic. For the kettle incident, I whirlpooled the wort during the chilling and let it settle for 30 minutes before transferring. After finishing fermenting, I cold crashed the Amber Ale for 4 days and racked into a keg.

We drank both of them and couldn't tell the difference. I am alive, no peeing blood and the beer was great and I don't use floating thermometers any more.

Short story, RDWHAHB!

-Joe

Much appreciated!! I decided to dump the batch to be on the safe side. I've made note of your reply and will worry less next time. But, I've also chosen to not use a floating thermometer again. Second busted one. Foolish mistake to say the least, but frustrating to say the least.

I agree with drink but don't share this batch. Most likely the glass and the shot settled and stayed on the bottom. It will also settle to the bottom of your bottles, assuming you bottle prime, when you pour you'll be leaving any glass that probably did not make it into the bottle at the bottom (on the very small chance that it did) with the dregs. Of course, the prospect of lead is another thing, I agree to check with the manufacturer just for peace of mind.

I agree with drink but don't share this batch. Most likely the glass and the shot settled and stayed on the bottom. It will also settle to the bottom of your bottles, assuming you bottle prime, when you pour you'll be leaving any glass that probably did not make it into the bottle at the bottom (on the very small chance that it did) with the dregs. Of course, the prospect of lead is another thing, I agree to check with the manufacturer just for peace of mind.

Hard to say if it was "lead" or not. I bought it from my LHBS, so I'm assuming it really isn't lead. I mean, really, who uses lead anymore?

Pro Tip: Don't measure ANYTHING with a glass instrument in the main vessel. Take a sample, then measure.

Back