Broken thermometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joggin

Joggin
Reaction score
Dropped my thermometer once too many times and now I hear something loose inside it, but can't see how to open it to repair, or if it's just unrepairable. The LBS I bought at is closed for good. There is no name on it at all. I really liked this and would buy another, but wonder if anyone knows what this brand is or if fixable.

Thanks

Attachments

• thermometer1.jpg
    thermometer1.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 16
  • thermometer2.jpg
    thermometer2.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 15
Try loosening the nut on the back of the dial. It might come off and open up the rest. Or the housing might be fully sealed (crimped/rolled closed) and not serviceable.

IME, if you hear something rattling inside an analog thermometer, it's toast. You MIGHT be able to fix it, but I wouldn't bet on it.

That nut on the back is to adjust it when calibrating to a known temperature.

Is it still working? If so, and it rattles, who cares? Test it.
Melting ice : 32F
Boiling water: 212F at or around sea level, or whatever it is at your altitude.

I have one of those, got it in my brew store for $12 IIRC.
It has a really long stem (good for measuring down in the mash), and comes with a small, red arrow that moves around the bezel to easy eye up your "preset" temperature.

Try loosening the nut on the back of the dial. It might come off and open up the rest. Or the housing might be fully sealed (crimped/rolled closed) and not serviceable.

IME, if you hear something rattling inside an analog thermometer, it's toast. You MIGHT be able to fix it, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Tried that but it just calibrates the needle and doesn't seem to want to come off.
It looks like it is a sealed system. I can't see how to open it without breaking it.
The needle is just free and goes anywhere it wants. So this noise I hear in it, a part became detached it seems when it dropped.
I think the only hope is to operate with a dremel and declare it dead. Unless a miracle.
Off course, this happened brewing. So had to chill in ice before tossing yeast. But beer should be ok.

That nut on the back is to adjust it when calibrating to a known temperature.

Is it still working? If so, and it rattles, who cares? Test it.
Melting ice : 32F
Boiling water: 212F at or around sea level, or whatever it is at your altitude.

I have one of those, got it in my brew store for $12 IIRC.
It has a really long stem (good for measuring down in the mash), and comes with a small, red arrow that moves around the bezel to easy eye up your "preset" temperature.
Yeah $12 is about what I paid. I was happy to get this as I went through many electronic ones that failed quickly. Have to look for another.

Yeah $12 is about what I paid. I was happy to get this as I went through many electronic ones that failed quickly. Have to look for another.
I have one like that with the long probe, it's bayou classics brand and it came free as a bonus when I bought a 16qt pot. In addition to the degrees in Fahrenheit, it also has marked ranges for the various steps in brewing. It's super handy and the additional markings are a great reference. Also, my thermo works digital thermometer confirms it's accuracy.
bayou-classic-brewing-thermometer-800-770_1024x1024.jpg

This is the one I have after looking online. There's no name on it. I found it pretty accurate. Looks like it's on sale. Wish I could open it up to attach what's loose, but can't see how to open it.

https://www.amazon.com/E-C-Kraus-Da...ws-20&linkId=c65d7d9fcd46016200e8454bdffcd6fa
After many years using "analog" thermometers like that, and later a $16 digital CDN DTQ450X, I finally splurged on a Thermoworks Thermapen. It's remarkable fast and very accurate. I got it in an "open box" sale for around $78, which is a good deal. They have special sales for around that price quite often too.

That looks like the front trim ring holds the whole assembly together. From what I can see in your first photo, it looks like the back of the trim ring has been compressed into a curve to grip the rear cup tightly. Unless you can find a way to get the ring off, you're not getting inside and from the description of what the needle is doing, I agree with Jayjay1976's comment.

Thanks. Yes, it seems compressed shut. Hate to throw it out if it was just something to reattach. Maybe I'll sell it on ebay as a Three stooges prop.

I'm glad all of my thermometers/sensors are mounted/installed. Either in the kettles or the O2 infusion setup (at the wort out port of the plate chiller). I did have to replace one of the sensors since in the rush to cleanup from the previous brewing session I placed it where it was able to get bent. At least these are easy to replace. I did bend it mostly straight, but I replaced it anyway since I'm leery of anything that's been stressed by such actions. Especially something as important as the MT temperature sensor.

The thermometer in the O2 infusion setup is one that came with the kettles from Spike. Since I'm using all sensors, I didn't need to use those anyplace else. I still have to in box (never opened).

Back