Brn Ale increase ABV, not effect taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomToro

Reaction score
Muntons Nut Brown Ale 1.8k (4lb)
Muntons Extra Light Spray DME 3lb
6 gallons
4.7%

How can I increase the abv to 5.7% without effecting the original taste with the ingredients I have on hand?

4lbs Corn Sugar
2lbs Honey
1lb Maple syrup

You can't. Alcohol has a flavor, and will thin the mouthfeel of the beer out.

O.k., I'll just make a nice session beer for my wife.
Thanks for the help,
Tom

Next time you want a higher gravity beer, buy a higher gravity kit. Recipes are about balance. You can't really alter 1 variable without affecting the other variables. For example bitterness. Bumping gravity without adjusting the hops is going to change the beer.

I suggest until folks understand the numbers and recipe creation, and how everything, they buy the kits they want and brew them AS IS. If you want a fruit beer, buy a fruit beer. You want a strong beer, buy a strong beer...Hoppier, buy an ipa.. Don't just think you can simply change something and the beer will still work.

Makes sense.

Next time you want a higher gravity beer, buy a higher gravity kit. Recipes are about balance. You can't really alter 1 variable without affecting the other variables. For example bitterness. Bumping gravity without adjusting the hops is going to change the beer.

I suggest until folks understand the numbers and recipe creation, and how everything, they buy the kits they want and brew them AS IS. If you want a fruit beer, buy a fruit beer. You want a strong beer, buy a strong beer...Hoppier, buy an ipa.. Don't just think you can simply change something and the beer will still work.

Add 1 pound light brown sugar and 12 oz of molasses. You won't be disappointed. It won't be 5.7 on the dot but that doesn't quite matter to you does it? Plug in the recipe to hopville or some other brew software with the brown sugar and molasses to see what you'd be looking at.

Add 1 pound light brown sugar and 12 oz of molasses. You won't be disappointed. It won't be 5.7 on the dot but that doesn't quite matter to you does it? Plug in the recipe to hopville or some other brew software with the brown sugar and molasses to see what you'd be looking at.

But it will be very different!

No, it doesn't have to be 5.7, just a little stronger than the 4.7 it was going to be. Thanks for the tip, I'll go to the grocery store and get the molasses. I have the LBsugar.

1 lb of the LB sugar will be the max you could add without it being thinner than expected. 12 oz. of the unsulphured molasses is fine to balance the fermentable LB sugar.

Latest posts

Back