british pale malt vs. marris otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustynails223

Reaction score
is marris otter a british pale malt? what is the difference? when a recipe calls for british pale should i use british pale or is marris otter just as good or better?

is marris otter a british pale malt? what is the difference? when a recipe calls for british pale should i use british pale or is marris otter just as good or better?

They're all UK pale malts. Maris-Otter is a variety of barley. MO and many other types of barley grown in the UK are processed into malt. MO is an an older "heirloom" variety that is lower yielding than modern types but in the opinion of many provides a better flavor. That said, while MO and other "heirlooms" like Golden Promise are very nice and do offer subtle differences from the generic types I have yet to come across a UK pale malt that wasn't pretty dammed good. Not to make things overly complex but bear in mind that there are detectable differences in the malts produced by various maltsters as well apart from the differences in barley varieties.

Latest posts

Back