British Ale with Kweik Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmeskill

Reaction score
Hey all! So I'm pretty much in love with british bitters/ales in general. Simple, quick, low-ABV, not to mention cheap as heck for the level of enjoyment I get out of them. But I almost exclusively use S04 yeast for them and I've had issues in the past with anything over 18C/65F. With summer rapidly approaching, without any proper temp-maintained fermentation vessel, and my apartment rapidly warming, I was thinking about giving kweik yeast a go. It would be on the low end of its range (18-20C, 65-70F) so I'd hope to avoid the upper end of all the citrus notes from a really hot fermentation, but hopefully could avoid a lot of the off-flavors I've noticed with S04 in summer. Has anyone tried this? Does anyone think it's a terrible idea? Does anyone care to hear how it turns out if I give it a go?

I use the Omega Voss Kveik for these beers. When fermented at 76*-80* they finish quickly and have a neutral flavor. I have yet to get the orange when at these temps. All Kveik strains are heavy feeders and with low gravity wort will require a double dose of nutes. I use this strain for my RIP stouts which start at 1.100 and up to 1.134 so far and it chews thru with no problem,I get between 73% and 80% ADF.

Yeah, my strain is VK and I only started to notice the citrusy flavours after 80 or so, so I guess it should be good. But good call with the double-dose, though-I'll just build up a full 1L starter, dump about 1/2 in and save the rest for later use/rebuilding.

I should also note I completely forgot how hungry kweik is! Dropped 1/2L of the starter in and saved the rest for future batches. It was bubbling hard within 3 hours and now, 18h in, it's chewed down from 1.047 to 1.030 at 'only' 26C. Absolutely crazy this stuff!

Back