brite tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd38

Reaction score
I have a red ale from a kit that is in a 5 gallon glass carboy, it has been there for a little over 2 weeks and I just decided to go look at it, and I noticed stuff floating at the top of it. I have been reading and isnt there supposed to be stuff at the bottom not the top. Dont want to overthink it but if anyone has any feed back please let me know was planning to bottle tomorrow thanks

Little clumps of yeast will rise up to the top with bubbles of CO2 and hang out there for a while. Could also be a little leftover krausen. Either way, it's just fine.

RDWHAHB

what is the "stuff"? Just some random floaties or is it a film or layer?

it's not uncommon to have stuff floating on top. 99.9999% it's fine. just rack over the yeast/trub on bottom and under the trub on the top. first make sure you take a hydrometer reading to see if you have reached your FG before bottling.

If you still have krausen that hasn't settled, I would recommend against bottling tomorrow.

Break out your hydrometer (or go get one if you don't already have one) and take a SG reading. When that's stable over ~3 days, then you can bottle. Premature bottling causes a lot of bottle bombs, so be careful.

wow guys thanks for the quick response I really appreciate, I dont know what else to call it other than stuff lol I am a noob ok I have a hyrometer I will take a reading tonight and wait till the weekend to see if its ready to bottle

I'd consider waiting a few more days. Just bump the sides and see if you can knock down some of the yeast floaties. Then take a sample and see where you are at. Take another in three days as suggested.

I have found that when siphoning into bottling bucket, I invariably get some of the floaties too. Doesn't hurt anything, but just more stuff in the bottle I didn't have to have int here.

Back