Bringing keg to party..pushing with Nitro?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im going to a party this evening and want to bring one of my already carbonated ales. I have no way of bringing CO@ to the party because I have a permanently mounted four body regulator but do have a way of bringing my nitrogen bottle, regulator and gas line for it. Seeing as how the beer is already carbed can I just push the beer tonight with like 7 psi of Nitro? I shouldn't go through a whole corney keg but just curious what to expect. Thanks for any help!

Thanks guys! Yes I have seen those injectors and they're not that bad. Im wondering how many cartridges you would go through to push an entire keg through (corney)? Didnt have enough time to get them this time but also thinking of getting them. If you use them and think of it, let us know how it works out for ya.

Thanks guys! Yes I have seen those injectors and they're not that bad. Im wondering how many cartridges you would go through to push an entire keg through (corney)? Didnt have enough time to get them this time but also thinking of getting them. If you use them and think of it, let us know how it works out for ya.

The beer has to be pre-carbed but the packaging says 1 CO2 cartridge will push 5gal. I'm thinking if you put a little extra pressure in the keg before taking it with you it'll push beer without any help for a while and if it starts getting too slow you could hit it with the cartridge.

We have one of those portable CO2 cartridges, works like a champ. Yes, the beer does need to be pre-carbonated, but you'll have no problem pushing a full 5 gallon keg on one cartridge. When we take kegs camping or fishing this is what we bring to push the beer.

In my experience you go through about 2 to 5 per keg (avg about 2 to 3). It really depends on if people are becoming over zealous and such... and it's never bad to have extras although if you run out you can just agitate the keg a little and the CO2 released will push the beer out. These are actually just bike tire fillers so you might be able to find something cheaper than at a homebrew store at a bike shop, you just have to make sure you have a threaded fitting to attach it to.

Word of advice too, purge your corny tank, put the fitting on and then screw the compact pump to the fitting. I didn't read the instructions carefully and while I was attaching the ball lock the pressure blew the fitting and made a really loud popping sound...

Not a problem, short-term.
When you get home, release the pressure and purge once with CO2. Otherwise, the beer will go flat.

Back