Bringing gravity down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeyakid

Reaction score
so I started brewing My 1st brew and pale ale, i'm about 2 and a half weeks into fermentation and i have taken 2 gravity readings so far they read 1.019, I'm looking to get it down to about 1.011, my question is will it go down with more time in the fermentation bucket or is there something i need to add/do to make it go down, my instincts tell me to just let it sit for alittle because that cant hurt it, but i'm new to brewing so i'd rather kknow for sure

-seeyakid

Can you tell us more, posting your recipe and and giving an over view of your process will help us help you.

If you get the same reading a few days in a row, it's done fermenting. Nothing you can really do to bring it down further.

homebeerbrewer said:
I disagree. Sometimes fermentation gets "stuck", and possibly a different environment will get it going again.

What temp are you fermenting at? What was the OG? What yeast are you using?

Ugh didn't think about that, but depending on the OG and the target OG the yeast used.. What the FG was supposed to be.. Too many factors. Shake it a bit and move it to somewhere warmer?

Draken said:
Ugh didn't think about that, but depending on the OG and the target OG the yeast used.. What the FG was supposed to be.. Too many factors. Shake it a bit and move it to somewhere warmer?

OP that was a question to the post above, not a suggestion!!!

Can you tell us more, posting your recipe and and giving an over view of your process will help us help you.

sorry to be so vague, It's a true brew pale ale, the temp is at 65 degrees i took a gravity test Saturday and it said 1.019 and then monday and still said 1.019, should i try moving it into a warmer spot and shaking just a bit? should i test the gravity 2morrow or Thursday?

pretty sure my og was 1.032 but i coulda messed that up

sorry to be so vague, It's a true brew pale ale, the temp is at 65 degrees i took a gravity test Saturday and it said 1.019 and then monday and still said 1.019, should i try moving it into a warmer spot and shaking just a bit? should i test the gravity 2morrow or Thursday?

pretty sure my og was 1.032 but i coulda messed that up

That OG definitely seems low. If this was an extract kit, your OG will be pretty close to the recipe's expected OG.

Assuming this was an extract batch and assuming your OG was higher, I'm willing to bet that your fermentation is done at 1.019. Many, many extract brews finish around 1.020 (search HBT for "curse of 1.020"). This is not necessarily a bad thing. What matters is how it tastes - you can have a great beer finish at 1.019.

Personally, I would check again in a few days and if the gravity hasn't changed I would call it done and bottle it (since you're 2.5-3 weeks in already)

That OG definitely seems low. If this was an extract kit, your OG will be pretty close to the recipe's expected OG.

Assuming this was an extract batch and assuming your OG was higher, I'm willing to bet that your fermentation is done at 1.019. Many, many extract brews finish around 1.020 (search HBT for "curse of 1.020"). This is not necessarily a bad thing. What matters is how it tastes - you can have a great beer finish at 1.019.

Personally, I would check again in a few days and if the gravity hasn't changed I would call it done and bottle it (since you're 2.5-3 weeks in already)

ok thank you it was a true brew kit, the directions are terrible tho, doesnt say what OG or FG should be...

ok thank you it was a true brew kit, the directions are terrible tho, doesnt say what OG or FG should be...

If it lists the ingredients (or if you remember them) the expected OG should be easy enough to figure out. If you give us the ingredients here we can help.

Back