Briess announces it's new Brumalt, Melanoiden, Honey Malt (take your choice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Denny Conn sent me some to play with a while back. I used some in a pale mild and liked it.

Did you think it "behaved" like melanoidin? I find that melanoidin in very small amounts (4 oz in 5 gallon batch) makes a big difference in some beers, but can quickly become overpowering. Does it mimick detoction mashes like melanoidin? The spec sheet suggests warm, bread, with a hint of honey. With melanoidin I usually sense heavy maltiness with some caramel notes. Thinking it would work well with a Dortmunder Export or maybe a Modelo Negra clone.

Brooo Brother

Did you think it "behaved" like melanoidin? I find that melanoidin in very small amounts (4 oz in 5 gallon batch) makes a big difference in some beers, but can quickly become overpowering. Does it mimick detoction mashes like melanoidin? The spec sheet suggests warm, bread, with a hint of honey. With melanoidin I usually sense heavy maltiness with some caramel notes. Thinking it would work well with a Dortmunder Export or maybe a Modelo Negra clone.

Brooo Brother
I've never used melanoidin so I can't compare the two. I do remember getting a slight sweet honey like flavor to it.
Once I find a shop that carries it and it's time to make an order I'll probably get some more to use in place of crystal malt in some recipes.

I was gifted 3 pounds of the stuff fresh out of the kiln. I have no idea what to use it for yet. Watching this thread for any ideas. Hmm, I should go taste it............

Tastes like malt! Honestly, I think it just tastes like base malt, but sweeter.

Back