Quantcast

Briess announces it's new Brumalt, Melanoiden, Honey Malt (take your choice)

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Brooothru

Reaction score
Denny Conn sent me some to play with a while back. I used some in a pale mild and liked it.
Did you think it "behaved" like melanoidin? I find that melanoidin in very small amounts (4 oz in 5 gallon batch) makes a big difference in some beers, but can quickly become overpowering. Does it mimick detoction mashes like melanoidin? The spec sheet suggests warm, bread, with a hint of honey. With melanoidin I usually sense heavy maltiness with some caramel notes. Thinking it would work well with a Dortmunder Export or maybe a Modelo Negra clone.

Brooo Brother

Steveruch

Reaction score
Did you think it "behaved" like melanoidin? I find that melanoidin in very small amounts (4 oz in 5 gallon batch) makes a big difference in some beers, but can quickly become overpowering. Does it mimick detoction mashes like melanoidin? The spec sheet suggests warm, bread, with a hint of honey. With melanoidin I usually sense heavy maltiness with some caramel notes. Thinking it would work well with a Dortmunder Export or maybe a Modelo Negra clone.

Brooo Brother
I've never used melanoidin so I can't compare the two. I do remember getting a slight sweet honey like flavor to it.
Once I find a shop that carries it and it's time to make an order I'll probably get some more to use in place of crystal malt in some recipes.

dmtaylor

Lord Idiot the Lazy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was gifted 3 pounds of the stuff fresh out of the kiln. I have no idea what to use it for yet. Watching this thread for any ideas. Hmm, I should go taste it............

Tastes like malt! Honestly, I think it just tastes like base malt, but sweeter.