Brewtoad Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Gertez

Reaction score
For those who use Brewtoad, has anyone had issues logging in and using the web app recently?

I occasionally will have days where I try to log in and get a "500 internal server error"
upload_2018-12-4_14-39-38.png

And then sometimes when I am logged in, if I refresh the page, it redirects me to an outside page that seems very insecure and spammy.

Overall, I like the tool a lot and I have about 75 recipes stored there, but if this keeps happening, I may need to look into switching to Brewer's Friend or similar. I wonder if the Brewtoad website is even still being maintained...

I have been having some of those issues as well. While I have not yet had any issues logging into my account... all recipe pages are extremely slow to load. They finally load after 2-3 minutes when a script on those pages finally times out (https://ads.brewtoad.com/ads/serve), which makes using the tool a nightmare. It does seem like no one is maintaining it, which is a shame as I have been using the tool for years and have all my recipes there.

One of the developers is a member of this forum based on a quick search, but doesn't seem to have been active since 2013.

Shoot, that sucks. Guess I'll be switching to something else after all.

Yeah, me too. Thanks for the heads up.

The funny thing is I emailed Brewtoad directly yesterday and got a reply from them this morning saying they were going to fix the issue. Guess shutting down is the fix...

Sounds like they decided it's too much effort to fix it, so they're just abandoning it.

I might make a seperate post about this but though I would share here.

Noticed an issue with brewtoad beerXML recipe export. In the fermentables section they may have the following types:

Grain
Adjunct
Dry Extract
Sugar
Base Malt
Kilned Malt
Liquid Extract
Caramel/Crystal Malt
Roasted Malt

However the BeerXML spec states the following with regard to type:
May be "Grain", "Sugar", "Extract", "Dry Extract" or "Adjunct". Extract refers to liquid extract.​

So if you are exporting your recipes and some the software you are importing into has a strict implementation of beerXML it may simply ignore some fermentables. You can either edit your recipe's xml file and change "Base Malt", "Kilned Malt", "Caramel/Crystal Malt", and "Roasted Malt" to "Grain" and "Liquid Extract" to "Extract". Or, if you are writing your own software you can change the code as you see fit.

Latest posts

Back