BrewTarget feature idea - log for multiple batches and inventory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
I am about to start trying to replicate batches and tweak to improve them. Once I dial in a recipe, I will want to keep records of each subsequent batch (actual values measured, fermentation temps like ambient and liquid temps, gravity curves, etc.). I know there's a tab for a recipe, but that's just for one iteration of the recipe. If we could set up a recipe and then spawn "children" brew instances with log information for each, that could be better than resetting up the recipe for each iteration. Think of it like albums with songs in iTunes. You can Rate and show ratings over time for a particular batch. Which would be greatly helpful in identifying the maturation point of a recipe.

I use serial numbers for my brews. 0302 is recipe 3, batch number 2. A similar serial numbering (and UID coding) scheme could be employed.

What would also be great is inventory control. Both for consumables and things like bottles. You brew an X gallon batch, BT estimates you'll get Y number of Z ounce bottles. So pull those from your inventory and associate them with the batch. If you keep a close count, you'll know how many of what beers are in your cellar (maybe an option to add commercials to the inventory as well?) When you clean and "return" bottles or loan them out (and your friends never return them) you adjust the on-hand number.

BrewTarget should be the iTunes of brewing software. It started with music, but slowly became podcasts, movies, and now books.

The brew day stuff has been done. If you want to try it out, get the most recent version of the code from sourceforge via subversion and build it. Any feedback would be welcome. What's there right now was the first pass -- enough to write the code and figure out what the interface would look like. It is not intended to be the final list of information we will store.

Back