Brewtarget 1.2 - Free open source brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about how to play around with recipes while I'm at work (shhh!) and take them home. This looks like it'd run perfectly off of a flash drive, so I'll install it tonight at home and try it out :)

Yup, you can run on a flash drive.

About double sparges, not in the current version, but that capability is already in the code for the next version, along with a lot of new ways to control your mash.

ive been using brewtarget for a while now and find it pretty useful, i know there are mash features for decoction and other things in it, but i cant figure out how to use them. i have a hard time understanding which temperature certain boxes refer to and wording issues, maybe just an improved help file? but thanks for the program, i like it alot

So, when is the next version going to be released? That teaser pick of the mash editor has had me dying for the next release!

Good work. :mug:

Played with the software a bit today, I'm finding it a lot more intuitive than Beersmith.

One bit of weirdness i saw, I copied the grain bill from here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/miller-lite-really-triple-hopped-123937/ and can not for the life of me get the SRM under 5, even when i drop it down to almost nothing. Is this BrewTarget's way of telling me not to make a lite beer? :-D

Played with the software a bit today, I'm finding it a lot more intuitive than Beersmith.

One bit of weirdness i saw, I copied the grain bill from here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/miller-lite-really-triple-hopped-123937/ and can not for the life of me get the SRM under 5, even when i drop it down to almost nothing. Is this BrewTarget's way of telling me not to make a lite beer? :-D

hey, i had that problem too, but under Tools > Options change it to moreys approximation for colour, and i find tinseths IBUs are more accurate

So, when is the next version going to be released? That teaser pick of the mash editor has had me dying for the next release!

Good work. :mug:

I'll release it soon. Making my fermentation cabinet has been eating up my weekends, time, and money lately. I just need to do some touch up work and make sure there are no bugs and I'll get it out.

Is there a way to search the recipe database (for example, recipes using amarillo hops) ?

Not currently, but good idea. I'll add it to the list.

i really appreciate this software and your making it open source, Rocketman...it's definitely been helpful in creating my recipes

I see the comment that the manual appears blank -- but I didn't see the fix or how to get to the manual. Did I miss it? Running mac 10.6.3 and QT 4.62

Q: regarding 64-bit. Has anyone had any luck compiling Brewtarget 1.2.1 for 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04? I'm actually running an RC of Linux Mint 9, but it's basically Ubuntu 10.04... I've got QT4 included, but when I try to perform 'configure' I get an "error: you don't have a qmake".

Any ideas?

I see the comment that the manual appears blank -- but I didn't see the fix or how to get to the manual. Did I miss it? Running mac 10.6.3 and QT 4.62

I'll be releasing a new version shortly. You can also download the manual (html file) here:
http://brewtarget.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/brewtarget/trunk/doc/manual/

Q: regarding 64-bit. Has anyone had any luck compiling Brewtarget 1.2.1 for 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04? I'm actually running an RC of Linux Mint 9, but it's basically Ubuntu 10.04... I've got QT4 included, but when I try to perform 'configure' I get an "error: you don't have a qmake".

If you know the path to your qmake, then you can run './configure --qmake=/path/to/qmake'

Any ideas?

I have compiled it on 64bit gentoo. For ubuntu/mint, check if you have qmake on the command prompt by typing

which qmake

if it doesnt show you where it is, you may need some qt4 dev packages. apt-cache search qt4 | grep dev

What would you guys think of a custom (open source, open schematic...) temperature controller that could interface with brewtarget? Perhaps it could record the temps in your fermentation chamber, and brewtarget could display statistics and change the temp limits and stuff? I dunno, just thinking out loud. I just built my own temp controller from an arduino pro mini and a relay and stuff, and I was thinking about this.

What would you guys think of a custom (open source, open schematic...) temperature controller that could interface with brewtarget? Perhaps it could record the temps in your fermentation chamber, and brewtarget could display statistics and change the temp limits and stuff? I dunno, just thinking out loud. I just built my own temp controller from an arduino pro mini and a relay and stuff, and I was thinking about this.

That'd be neat, but being able to log the I/O from an Auber PID would make it much more useful for more people.

I have just started using brewtarget. I like it for the most part, some interface things could be smoother, like having to scroll for every ingredient. I would really love to choose temperatures in fermentation to interact with brewtarget. If there was a way to to show how long the fermentation took to get from X gravity to X gravity it could update with that strand of yeast if you use it again. If there was a program that could more directly pinpoint my own yeast strands that would be fantastic.

Another smaller addition that could be neat, is ability to trade or upload new recipes. And have notes about them, and how many people have tried it etc. Also perhaps a bigger option of equipment to choose from. I know people I have introduced to brewing dont know how to properly put in their equipment accurately.

Aside from suggestions, I really like the program and I use it all the time. :)

I just downloaded it and it looks cool. I been playing around with it and i like it. I just cant figure one thinking out. When you flll everything out and in the right corner it gives you all the info like og, boil og, ginal og, abv so one but there is three rows for each of those fields what does all of those me like the one i am working with not the og says in the 1 field 1.040 in blue, the 2 field 1.059 then 3 1.052. I dont know what one to use .

I just downloaded it and it looks cool. I been playing around with it and i like it. I just cant figure one thinking out. When you flll everything out and in the right corner it gives you all the info like og, boil og, ginal og, abv so one but there is three rows for each of those fields what does all of those me like the one i am working with not the og says in the 1 field 1.040 in blue, the 2 field 1.059 then 3 1.052. I dont know what one to use .

The middle column is your batch, the left and right are min and max of the BJCP style guideline for the beer you are targeting.

Ok, I have found a problem with my setup. I finally got a sight glass for my keggle, and I have found that even with zero loss in my setup for the mash tun, etc., that I end up with 7 gallons preboil when I am calculated to end up with 6.515 gal before the boil. Is there any way you can add a calibration for grain absorption? I think because I mill so finely (three roller Monster Mill set at .030) that I get less absorption? Thanks again for the program, I have made all my beers with it, and I tried beersmith once and it sucked compared to this!

Ok, I have found a problem with my setup. I finally got a sight glass for my keggle, and I have found that even with zero loss in my setup for the mash tun, etc., that I end up with 7 gallons preboil when I am calculated to end up with 6.515 gal before the boil. Is there any way you can add a calibration for grain absorption? I think because I mill so finely (three roller Monster Mill set at .030) that I get less absorption? Thanks again for the program, I have made all my beers with it, and I tried beersmith once and it sucked compared to this!

Sure. I'll make the grain absorption parameter visible to the user.

Just brewed my first AG batch and decided to try your program out for the recipe. I'm very happy the way it came out. I collected about .25 gal more preboil than what was calculated but I just boiled it off until I hit my amount and then started the 60 min. I have a few suggestions for the program..

I was wondering if theres a way to reorder things under the different ingredient tabs? Say you added 3 different kinds of hops and set the times in order of use. You come back later and want to add a hop addtion somewhere in between two of the original addtions. I know when you add it, it will just go to the bottom of the list no matter what time you add them. Could you have them order themselves automatically according to addition?

Also if dry hopping, how do you turn the time to days?

I know this one is a biggie, but I thought I'd ask. Would it be possible to put info/traits about the different malts. I don't know if anyone else would care but I think it would be awesome to see what kinds of properties different malts had so I could reference it when trying to build a beer.

Great job on the program though, I really like how it's setup and thank you for helping make my first AG brew day a success!

Just brewed my first AG batch and decided to try your program out for the recipe. I'm very happy the way it came out. I collected about .25 gal more preboil than what was calculated but I just boiled it off until I hit my amount and then started the 60 min. I have a few suggestions for the program..

I was wondering if theres a way to reorder things under the different ingredient tabs? Say you added 3 different kinds of hops and set the times in order of use. You come back later and want to add a hop addtion somewhere in between two of the original addtions. I know when you add it, it will just go to the bottom of the list no matter what time you add them. Could you have them order themselves automatically according to addition?

I know this one is a biggie, but I thought I'd ask. Would it be possible to put info/traits about the different malts. I don't know if anyone else would care but I think it would be awesome to see what kinds of properties different malts had so I could reference it when trying to build a beer.

Great job on the program though, I really like how it's setup and thank you for helping make my first AG brew day a success!

I agree with the last request, maybe for hops as well. I know there are other lists available. I normally switch between this program and those lists when I am formulating a new recipe.

How about up/down buttons so you can order it however you like?

Ah, well I didn't put support in for such long time units, but I just changed that, so you can have the "day" unit in the upcoming release.

Ok, I have added info for most of the grains. Glad you're enjoying the software!

Sure. I'll make the grain absorption parameter visible to the user.

Rocketman

I've similar problems here with large grain bills. When I have high OG beers, and this seems regardless of batch size, I'm running off more than calculated and end up with too much in the fermenter. Now, I should pay better attention before I start adding my late addition hops, but I was wondering if there is some small amount of error that is being propogated as grain bill increases in size? It is entirely possible that I'm not estimating my boiloff rate on these bigger OG batches, but I've never had this problem with beers under 1.055. Any ideas?

Rocketman

I've similar problems here with large grain bills. When I have high OG beers, and this seems regardless of batch size, I'm running off more than calculated and end up with too much in the fermenter. Now, I should pay better attention before I start adding my late addition hops, but I was wondering if there is some small amount of error that is being propogated as grain bill increases in size? It is entirely possible that I'm not estimating my boiloff rate on these bigger OG batches, but I've never had this problem with beers under 1.055. Any ideas?

It's not error propagation, but rather that the error is just being scaled in relation to your grain bill. I think I had the absorption fixed at 0.13 gal/lb. So, if this figure is 10% off for you for a normal beer, then in a 5 gal batch, you may collect 0.2 gal more or less than you expect. However, if you double or triple the grain bill, then you will increase the absolute error to 0.4 or 0.6 gal. So, the suggestion to let the user edit the absorption parameter is a good one and I've already put it in for the next release on the equipment editor.

Ok, thanks man! Your error estimates seem spot on too. I'm usually about .5 gallons over anticipated in-the-fermenter volume.

I'm stoked about the new release! :mug:

How about up/down buttons so you can order it however you like?

Ah, well I didn't put support in for such long time units, but I just changed that, so you can have the "day" unit in the upcoming release.

Ok, I have added info for most of the grains. Glad you're enjoying the software!

Can't ask for more than that! Love it man. When do you think the new release will be out?!

Sorry to throw more on ya, but I just made a weiss with tangerines in the primary and thought it would be good to be able to use pounds in the misc. tab as well as pieces. I used 4 tangerines and there really no way to put that in. I thought also if someone was weighing lbs of fruit it would be nice to have the lbs. Maybe add fruit as a choice under the misc. tab too? You said you added days for a time, under the misc. tab also? I was also thinking..is there a way to add like a notes tab or box for each tab so you can put info on the process etc.? Sorry for all the requests, but I really like this program. I guess when you are making different beers and you are using different techniques you see things that you can always add to the program. Thanks again for a great program!

Sorry to throw more on ya, but I just made a weiss with tangerines in the primary and thought it would be good to be able to use pounds in the misc. tab as well as pieces. I used 4 tangerines and there really no way to put that in. I thought also if someone was weighing lbs of fruit it would be nice to have the lbs.

I'm not totally sure if I understand, but I think perhaps you missed the "amount is weight?" checkbox in the misc editor? So, if you click the misc in the table, then click the edit button on the right, you'll see that checkbox, and then you can enter weight.

Maybe add fruit as a choice under the misc. tab too? You said you added days for a time, under the misc. tab also? I was also thinking..is there a way to add like a notes tab or box for each tab so you can put info on the process etc.?

In the misc editor, there is a notes box. Does that help, or were you thinking of something else?

Sorry for all the requests, but I really like this program. I guess when you are making different beers and you are using different techniques you see things that you can always add to the program. Thanks again for a great program!

Lol, don't feel bad for making feature requests! Don't even feel bad for criticizing the program. That's the only way it gets better.

#1) Thank you for your work on this. I love the program.

Quick question, and my apologies if this has already been addressed; why is the initial SRM value 4.7? With this as the default, even adding Pilsner grain to a Kolsch recipe bumps you over the color style.

Are you making some sort of snide comment about my water clarity? :p

Thanks again!

#1) Thank you for your work on this. I love the program.

Quick question, and my apologies if this has already been addressed; why is the initial SRM value 4.7? With this as the default, even adding Pilsner grain to a Kolsch recipe bumps you over the color style.

Are you making some sort of snide comment about my water clarity? :p

Thanks again!

Lol, nah, it's just the way the Mosher color approximation is (i.e., the y-intercept of srm vs. mcu is 4.7). You can go to the options window and change the color approximation formula to Morey if you wish.

I'm not totally sure if I understand, but I think perhaps you missed the "amount is weight?" checkbox in the misc editor? So, if you click the misc in the table, then click the edit button on the right, you'll see that checkbox, and then you can enter weight.

Hows about actual pieces in general.. if people just want to put in pieces of fruit..

In the misc editor, there is a notes box. Does that help, or were you thinking of something else?

Sorry didnt see that, thats just fine

Lol, don't feel bad for making feature requests! Don't even feel bad for criticizing the program. That's the only way it gets better.

Thats awesome thats you feel that way.. I wish I knew how to program..:rockin:

I just tried it. It looks great! Thanks for making this.

Can it do fly sparging, or double batch sparging (two half-volume sparges)?

thanks for a great program. I'm having a few problems and I'm sure it's me. When I follow the manual and try adding the hops I end up with 43.2 for bitterness. I have played around on how I type in the time no luck. Another question is about the sparge temp. It shows 165.200 but I always try to sparge at least 170. Am i doing something wrong or have I typed something in wrong. My guess would be me not really great on computer.

Back