Brewtan B dosage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltboy1

Reaction score
I'm a little puzzled about the Brewtan B dosing recommended by the vendors. If the following information from the manufacturer is correct, wouldn't a 6 ppm addition equal 6 milligrams per liter? And wouldn't that mean a 10 gallon batch should use about 0.23 grams in the mash and boil?

Attachments

• Brewtan B.GIF
    Brewtan B.GIF
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
for 6 gallon batches I do the following. I did the math and created a spreadsheet scaling down from HL to Gallons. Here's the end result.

If you are doing 10 gallon batches you wanna double what I have below. When I say 6 gallon, I'm accounting for trub, dead weight, fermentor loss, etc. It's really a five gallon batch after fermentation.

Mash & Sparge:
.26 grams per gallon of water used. This usually amounts to about 2.5g total between mash & sparge water

Boil:
1 gram in boil 15 min before flame out
(add whirfloc 5 min before flame out)

Attached is my crappy spreadsheet if you wanna use it.. Plug in your desired volumes in the tan color. The dosage amounts will be in green. It comes out to approximately what I said above.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/snoslggco4utvm2/Brewtan B dosage.xlsx?dl=0

Last edited:
Thanks for the tool. Your dosage rate aligns with the vendors' recommendation, but it's about an order of magnitude higher than what Ajinomoto recommends. I'm wondering why there's such a big difference. Is there a compelling reason to use that much?

Here's the link to their product info page; Brewtan® Gallotannins – ATPGroup

Last edited:
I base my additions on an old spreadsheet that the Low Oxygen Brewing gang put out, that recommended a 0.08-0.26 grams per gallon rate for both mash and boil, though it's not really needed in boil if not using copper chiller. Based on that, I settled on a 0.13 grams per gallon rate for most of my beers, which for me, comes out to a gram in mash, and 0.6 grams in the boil based on boil volumes. If the yeast I am using is low flocc one, then I will up the rate closer to the 0.26 g/gal rate for my boil addition. At the 0.13 rate, wort is crystal clear post chill down, and clear in fermenter after cold crashing and super clear in the keg.

Thanks for the tool. Your dosage rate aligns with the vendors' recommendation, but it's about an order of magnitude higher than what Ajinomoto recommends. I'm wondering why there's such a big difference. Is there a compelling reason to use that much?

Here's the link to their product info page; Brewtan® Gallotannins – ATPGroup
I'm following wyeasts dosage rates who is the manufacturer

No issues with those high of rates in the quality of my beer. The water does look purple and wierd with that dosage rate, but it all settles out in the finished beer.

I'd lean with manufacturers recommendation over a 3rd party vendor. You might be able to get away with less, but I see no reason to do so from my experience

ATP Group/Ajinomoto is the manufacturer. Brewtan is trademarked by them. I just assumed Wyeast buys it from them and repakcages it for homebrewers.

ATP Group/Ajinomoto is the manufacturer. Brewtan is trademarked by them. I just assumed Wyeast buys it from them and repakcages it for homebrewers.
Got it, yeah not sure. Maybe email Wyeast as to the discrepancy?

The dosage rate I've been using seems to be working though. Maybe could get away with less, but I'm happy

Latest posts

Back