Brewroom Build!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iroc, you may want to consider something like the fermento-lager-taporator I have posted in my sig. That way you can use a chest freezer for the cooling source (much more powerful than a minifridge) and have more space with more functionality. Just an idea. I haven't started mine yet, but it is on my very long list :D

I really wanted to do something like that Boerderij, but I happen to have a free mini-fridge. Maybe I'll have someone not want a freezer anymore next week, I've been pretty fortunate the last few months with people just giving me stuff or selling it dirt cheap (6 glass carboys with 13 gallons of wine still inside them for $80!).

Who knows. :D Maybe I will build one. If you guys can't tell I'm just a big kid that has a house that I do whatever the hell I want with. Whatever I can dream of, I make into reality. Pics in a little bit of the progress. I'm leaving work shortly and have a half hour drive home, in the rain it sounds like.

Holy moly Red, your door hijacked your thread! You keep saying you are working on the ferm chamber and everyone wants to hear about the door. Even under the influence coming up with that door idea takes an imagination. The Hobbit has been my favorite book since the third grade (I think that's something like 25 years now) and never would have even thought of copying Tolkien's idea of a round door...and now I'm going to steal it from you. Is it really stealing if I tell you I'm doing it but then give you the credit when I finish it? Not sure. So...+1 on the door being super cool. As far as the ferm room goes I would suggest figuring a way to get the room to between 60-65 for your ales then build one of those cheap ice boxes for fermenting lagers...Im working on getting the insulation on one of those too. Too many projects so little time. Here's a link for the chamber...
http://www.olderascal.com/brewing/fermentationchiller/index.html

Maybe I'll put a round door in the ferm chamber too! Oh man... this might be too good to pass up. Ok, I'm doing it. I wonder how far you can bend plywood before it wants to start cracking... I guess we are going to find out aren't we. :D

Ok, view of the round door from the brew room door

DSCF0312.jpg

View of the brew room's diagonal entrance from the laundry room
DSCF0304.jpg

Looking straight on the brew room from the door

DSCF0305.jpg

Further into the room we go, closet space is in the left corner, maybe 9sq ft or so on the closet.
DSCF0308.jpg

Looking back toward the door from the wall

DSCF0307.jpg

Looking out the door

DSCF0306.jpg

Lucky man in both the beautiful girlfriend (that supports these amazingly cool projects) and the amazingly cool projects.

And freaky lookin cats man.

Nice Siamese's. Red point and a Seal point? my mom used to breed those, now she breeds Bengals.

Haha, I knew someone would see that. The true explanation of that is that I have a lot of Arabic friends and we used to smoke the Argile pronounced - "adr gee lay" - where the g is soft as in goo, with flavored tobacco. Watermelon tastes awful, Strawberry is the best, followed by apple. Seriously, I would not be able to poke smot and have a house and fast cars and brew beer on my wages. I'm one of the most straight arrow people ever. :)

Haha, I knew someone would see that. The true explanation of that is that I have a lot of Arabic friends and we used to smoke the Argile pronounced - "adr gee lay" - where the g is soft as in goo, with flavored tobacco. Watermelon tastes awful, Strawberry is the best, followed by apple. Seriously, I would not be able to poke smot and have a house and fast cars and brew beer on my wages. I'm one of the most straight arrow people ever. ;)

Fixed that for you... :mug:

Haha, fine don't believe me. :) I know I'm not a pothead, and proud of it quite honestly.

On another note, I have decided that I am going to begin using cube shaped fermenters to utilize space more efficiently. This way, I can have a smaller ferm-chamber and still ferment up to 30 gallons at a time. Not sure if I'm going to build them myself out of Polycarbonate or if I'll buy HDPE "vittles vaults". The vaults are a hair cheaper, but they are not clear. Clear square fermenters would look more high tech too. I think I'll put one of my old fish tank cubes into service and see how it goes. I was going to do a small home business a few years back making rimless cube tanks for fish enthusiasts, sold a few but then the GF at the time left me, moved out, took half our stuff, and I was left with an apartment that cost me $750 a month by myself.

Thats all the past though. Its interesting to note that one of my 12" cube tanks will hold 7.48 gallons of liquid. They cost me about $25 in materials to build, and a few hours time. Clear, square, home built fermenters. How cool is that...

Well, basically you build a cube out of 5 pieces of polycarbonate. The manner in which you join the pieces together is called cementing. It is in actuality a solvent that is applied to the joint, that flows down the joint via capillary action and actually melts the Polycarbonate on both sides of the joint, and then solidifies. It is used in this exact manner by big aquarium builders that use polycarbonate (plexiglas).

Here is one of my masterpieces. Holding the full weight of all of 7.25 gallons of water, not a single leak.
DSCF0851.jpg

I think they would be better. large opening, you'd kinda be able to see what's going on and they are already air tight. it'd be nice to custom build the size you need though.

Yeah I took a look at them on usplastics and they are not bad price-wise. We'll see what I end up doing. I have to be very cost conscious. I am by no means well off, always running on the razor edge of being broke.

Sweet, got a petsmart a mile from my house. And I know a trick too, if the store price is higher than the online price, you put the online item in your shopping cart, print it off with the price, and if you take that in the store with you, they will honor the price.

EDIT: Petsmart has these at about $5 over the cost from US plastics. Consider shipping costs and you easily make out by shopping local.

@ Petsmart

8gal - $33.99
13gal - $45.99

I bet we could get your member ship paid for if you were willing to share with the group :) It's worth the money not to mention sanctioned group swaps. but any way didn't mean to hijack.

I have a feeling that I know what is shared. ;) Not sure I want to do that. But then again I may be wrong.

And I thought the first rule of Fight Club was..... ;)

PM me Irregular.

I have too many hobbies, a house, a girlfriend, and debt up to my eyeballs. I don't have $25! :(

Ok, maybe I can scrounge it up. I think I'll go looking through the couch cushions.

I have too many hobbies, a house, a girlfriend, and debt up to my eyeballs. I don't have $25! :(

Ok, maybe I can scrounge it up. I think I'll go looking through the couch cushions.

Try and scrounge up the money for a lifetime. That way, when you are living homeless, in a box, outside, with no GF, no job and no food, at least you won't have to worry about an expiry date on your HBT membership! :D

Once the car is paid off, the Home Depot card is paid off, the Macys card is paid off... and the Camaro has a new Twin Turbo 385ci Stroker hammering away under the hood, then I'll look at a lifetime membership. :)

Should be about 25 years :lol:

BTW, why does this board not have a :lol: smiley?

Once the car is paid off, the Home Depot card is paid off, the Macys card is paid off... and the Camaro has a new Twin Turbo 385ci Stroker hammering away under the hood, then I'll look at a lifetime membership. :)

Should be about 25 years :lol:

BTW, why does this board not have a :lol: smiley?

Hey man put some cubes in that camaro...385 you can do better than that !

Looking for cost effective here for the engine. I could do a 400 SBC if you could find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and your first born. But the other reason I was going for 385 is because my car is a Speed Density car (now) so..... I kinda have to run the same engine I had before or pay another $600-$1000 to have it tuned, again. Speed Density cars don't like any modifications done without programming. They usually don't run right if at all sometimes.

Anyway, this weekend was a wash, went to a friends house for an inagural party (house warming). Felt lazy sunday... I did use yeast though, I made bread. :D

Any update Red? After seeing those clear cube vessels I'm dying to see more. This is looking to be an amazing awesome build.

I tried to get my brother to install arch doorways when he did his remodel. If he saw your hatch he might have changed his mind! Keep up the creativity!

Back