Brewpub system sizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixieBull

Reaction score
I'm in the process of determining what size brewing system to use for a potential brewpub that is in the planning stages. My floor space is limited and I've done a decent amount of research regarding how many bbl/yr I need to produce and what size equipment will get me there(3bbl w/8 fer, or 7bbl w/5-6 fer.). I'm considering starting with one 3bbl system and adding a second one within the first year. I cant find any info on the web as to any advise for or against this idea and am wondering if anyone has some thoughts?

I was researching for a potential brewpub as well and kept running into people saying that you need a minimum of 7 bbl system to keep labor costs under control.
Probrewer.com is a good place to check out.

How many bbls do you expect to sell in a week? Where located? Can you sell off-site and, if so, do you anticipate doing so and selling some kegs to a distributor? A properly scaled brewpub will have a single brewer brewing 2x/week. More than that and you start running into trouble balancing tasks and the workload gets insane. I would not consider anything smaller than 5bbl for an over the counter only pub, EVER. 7bbl would be more typical, I would prefer 10hl (8.5 bbl) for the little extra capacity cushion. If there was going to be minimal distribution, a 10bbl brewhouse would be the bottom end, a 15bbl being better and 20hl (17bbl) being a great jumping off point.

Check out soundbrew.com and read the section on nano brewing. It will make you think.

Back