BrewPi Remix – What’s Old is New Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think what is happening is a "feature" (cough: bug) in the script is causing either a crash or a memory leak when it cannot find a configured Tilt. You have "some" data points in your json (stored data) so when you comment out the Tilt, the script can run, and it will display those points it has.

I wanted to add this. When I do an update or install I see

”sudo: unable to resolve host brewpiremix: Name or service not known”

Alot….. Is this normal?

Sounds as if you may have changed your hostname without rebooting? Or, for whatever reason, the host name change didn;t complete sucessfully. You can change it in raspi-config and see if it goes away (again after a reboot).

Sounds as if you may have changed your hostname without rebooting? Or, for whatever reason, the host name change didn;t complete sucessfully. You can change it in raspi-config and see if it goes away (again after a reboot).
So I did a complete reinstall. I chose the full OS this time so I could VNC in and see if I could see anything on the Bluetooth connections I do detect devices to pair to. Even my Sony TV shows up from the living room. I emerged BrewPiRemix and selected the blue tilt again but it didnt show up in the graph again.
436FA45E-DE86-4A58-B645-57F4C28A5A11.jpeg

I take that back….. Bluetooth devices showed up until I emerged BrewPiRemix. Now I see nothin…hmmmm

I don't know what you mean by "emerged BrewPiRemix."

Try TiltPi on a different SD card to see if it will consistently read your Tilt:

https://tilthydrometer.com/products/tilt-pi-v2-buster-dec20-raspberry-pi-sd-card-image-download
Sorry that’s an old Gentoo term…. It means to install the package. Emerging would compile the package from scratch. Anyway, I was one step ahead of you again. When I reinstalled and used the full os this time, I used a different sd card.

78DEA269-97C1-4A0C-B7DA-466A1B506E45.png

Does this show you anything? Can I pull any logs and post them that might help?

That looks like the script is running, you have a Tilt configured, and you can't talk to it because something is binding that interface before the script runs. Are you running something else that might be binding to the BLE?

That looks like the script is running, you have a Tilt configured, and you can't talk to it because something is binding that interface before the script runs. Are you running something else that might be binding to the BLE?
No its just a standard install. IE I followed your directions on the web page.

Honestly .... something is screwy with that Bluetooth I think. Try that TiltPi and see if it confirms or refutes that theory.

That’s weird. I think (remember I have no access right now) that you can stop the BrewPi script and then at the command line execute Tilt.py (you will have to venv to the local environment) and read the Tilt there.

There is no password for brewpi, you can only su to it. Explaining this for others:
  • "sudo su - brewpi" changes your current user to the brewpi user, which is what owns and runs the BrewPi script. the "-" in between su and brewpi alters the environment to the brewpi's environment as well.
  • "activate" is an alias for (from memory) "/home/brewpi/venv/bin/activate" which sets up the Python virtual environment under which BrewPi is intended to run.
  • "python" inside the venv is an alias to python3 which is what BrewPi uses.
  • "Tilt.py" is a helper library with a test script which will connect to Tilts and show what is received.
So now we see that your environment was not set up correctly for some reason. You can exit to get back to the pi user, and do either one of these:
  • /home/brewpi/utils/doPerms.sh <--(this is the recommended solution)
    or
  • sudo setup cap_net_raw+eip $(eval redline -f `which python3`) <--(this is included in the above script)
Then, as brewpi set up the venv again and run Tilt.py and see what happens.

There is no password for brewpi, you can only su to it. Explaining this for others:
  • "sudo su - brewpi" changes your current user to the brewpi user, which is what owns and runs the BrewPi script. the "-" in between su and brewpi alters the environment to the brewpi's environment as well.
  • "activate" is an alias for (from memory) "/home/brewpi/venv/bin/activate" which sets up the Python virtual environment under which BrewPi is intended to run.
  • "python" inside the venv is an alias to python3 which is what BrewPi uses.
  • "Tilt.py" is a helper library with a test script which will connect to Tilts and show what is received.
So now we see that your environment was not set up correctly for some reason. You can exit to get back to the pi user, and do either one of these:
  • /home/brewpi/utils/doPerms.sh <--(this is the recommended solution)
    or
  • sudo setup cap_net_raw+eip $(eval redline -f `which python3`) <--(this is included in the above script)
Then, as brewpi set up the venv again and run Tilt.py and see what happens.
Did this twice, just to make sure I didnt botch something along the way.

8D60CD62-5EE0-4F2D-9162-875B887DC101.png

Keep getting this…..

I have tried its suggestion. Thats when it asked for a password.

1808F7E7-18CE-4323-99D9-DA1233DB44A8.png

You will have to sudo that setcap command as pi, you will not have access as brewpi.
It still asks for a password that I apparently dont have. Maybe I will find an older version of Raspbian and try the install process again.

If you are logged in as pi and cannot sudo, something else is changed. As a matter of fact the install command line uses sudo. I’ve used the latest Raspbian without issues.

1644158668059.png

So with Buster, the install seemed to take longer, and this happened for quite some time. I walked away to get more coffee and it had completed but I would guess it did this for 15 minutes minimum. The script wont run at all with Buster. Im not sure what Im doing wrong. I am using the Pi Imager, Im not doing anything funky in the settings. I turn on SSH and VNC. I use the install script. Single chamber, blue tilt, I set the hostname to brewpiremix as you suggested, its frustrating, I just wanna brew with this device.

1644159044465.png

ah the numpy wait.

@LBussy had to fix that for me when I went all rogue on him and was changing os versions, but it did work out with python-something-or-ether issue.

Hey all, about to make the jump and start my first build. I didn't realize until tonight I had to use a Arduino board in addition to a RPI. I am going to use a RPI 3 B and was looking at the Inland Uno's as the Arduino as the Uno's are the suggested for ease, are these considered the "cheap" ones which we should stay away from or should I spring for the office Arduino ones? To note, im going to be starting off with a multi chamber setup.

I am going to use a RPI 3 B and was looking at the Inland Uno's as the Arduino as the Uno's are the suggested for ease, are these considered the "cheap" ones which we should stay away from or should I spring for the office Arduino ones? To note, im going to be starting off with a multi chamber setup.
Understanding that Microcenter may change their supplier at any time - I have purchased from them with no issues. It's been a while since coming across an Uno that would not work, but it's certainly possible.

I know you have all been losing sleep, waiting for some information on one of my laptop-arduino-BrewPiRemix systems. To recap, there are two identical laptops, two arduinos, only one system has the double-solenoid board for a true BPR setup while the other just datalogs. Both use 3, 1 or 2m, DS18b20 sensors. And only the datalogging system runs without issue.

I disassembled and reassembled the BPR-tru, and set to just log, as was seeing random 5°F readings:
1645993021625.png

1645993058453.png

and I came across this
1645993135833.png

The datalogger system that works:
1645993222125.png

The BPRTru that has random spikes:
1645993288148.png

Coincidence?

Ponder at will.

I dunno, I don't know anything about any of that to be honest.
I just went through about half of my ~3 dozen ds18b20 sensors and only found one that seems to be "cloney".
But it's also a probe I've used for maybe 10 years now and has never given flakey readings...

Cheers!

my understanding of the documentation is the USB cable from the raspberry pi is what powers the Arduino(s). So, that being said, what, if any, would be the downside of pulling the 5 volt line out of the cable and running that to a separate 5 volt power supply to take the load of the 5v bus of the pi?

I have many Arduinos slaved to RPIs but none of them are powered via USB. Most of the UNOs use Bluetooth comms (so no USB connection at all) and have their own 9V wall wart plugged into the barrel receptacle; the Alamodes get 5V directly from the RPi they're stacked upon and have a specific jumper for that purpose; and finally for the two UNOs that do communicate over USB from an RPi I desoldered the FET that gates the USB 5V (see drawing) and jumper wired from an RPi 5V pin directly to an UNO 5V pin.

fwiw, I have read of folks jumpering from 5V to 5V pins but not removing the FET without experiencing issues.
I'm an EE with over 45 years of computer server and solid state storage design and just couldn't wing it like that :)

Cheers!

Uno_R3_markup_mini.jpg

Uno_R3_FET.jpg

@day_trippr does putting 5V on the Vin pin shut the FET off so power doesn’t get drawn from the USB? Is the desoldering necessary, or is it a belt and braces approach?

Edit: Answered my own question by looking up the specs. That regulator needs 7V to reliably put out 5V.

Last edited:
wow, okay. So, since I accidentally purchased my UNO's without the usb cables and I refuse to spend more on a cable than the UNO itself, what would you recommend I do? I was going to repurpose some cables I have, they are only 2 inches long so i was going to cut the A end off to extend them, hence why I thought about pulling the 5v line out but if I can power over Bluetooth and use the barrel connector...

I guess I don't want to over complicate my first shot at the build also don't want to build out waste in a mk1

My Unos are right next to the Pi, so I have short cables and power over USB. Any reason not to just use the 2” ones? You’ll need an external module to do Bluetooth which will cost more than a usb cable.

ah, fair point.. I haven't worked with an Arduino yet... I forgot they dont have native Bluetooth. The cables I have are recycled from old desktops which have custom ends on them (case form factor for external drives) so I would only be able to get 1 maybe 2 of the 3 into the RPI, another reason i was going to cut then ends off to replace with standard ones.

I'm going to keep searching the office to see if I can find some cables.... of course we binned all the personal printers years ago for network ones but I have hope there was an office pack rat who kept some

Back