BrewPi Remix – What’s Old is New Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered one from Amazon a few days ago for $49.99 !!!

MazerPi Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Max Kit - 64GB Edition, Raspberry Pi 4 Case with Fan, 20W 5V 4A Raspberry Pi 4 Power Supply with ON/Off Switch, HDMI Cable for Pi 4B (4GB RAM)​

And the price went up to $229 sometime between March 14, 2023 and just now!!! WTF!!!
I do not know if that was a mistake, or they are trying to HOSE us all now, since they realize they can charge whatever they want . I think the reason for the huge shortage, is that they are being diverted to Ukraine for Drones and other equipment.The Raspberry Pi Foudation, say it is NOT there fault, but they are trying, and unable , to keep up with the demand. They (Raspberry.ORG) are selling the R-5 for $35, but almost everyone is marking them up to what ever the market will pay now.
While it’s possible, I’d point to the fact that - as I mentioned - SFF PCs are readily available for $100-120 which - if I was trying to build a drone - feel like a much more powerful option! My guess is that the raspberry pi foundation isn’t wanting to scale beyond what they think is sustainable — while underestimating the growth in interest in ARM-based PCs on the heels of Apple’s success. Still though, who knows?

I doubt anyone is buying RPi's for desktops as they still just don't have the balls to do that job well. I suspect people building clusters for all kinds of reasons are devouring mass quantities of Pi's while The Foundation is still constrained by supply chain issues. They may not be able to source components to support expanding their production even as the utility of RPi clusters has become accepted as viable...

Cheers!

I doubt anyone is buying RPi's for desktops as they still just don't have the balls to do that job well.
I'll find out soon, if the V-B4, has any bigger One's, then the V-3B+. When I try to run BPRemix and surf the Net, the V3 starts to smoke, and the green light is pretty much constant on, waiting for the CPU to finish up. You Brainiac's would know a lot more than me, if the 64bit, with 4 GB RAM, will be much better ?
I still have an occasional freeze-up, that three different Raspberry Pi's green light is constant on, and I can not open the Terminal Window to kill the Process.... Led to too many busted SD cards when I had no choice but to pull the cord...... UGH! I still have no clue what can cause my Pi to freeze up. It happens much more when running BPRemix, and much less often when running Fermentrack ? I must say that when I tried the Raspberry Pi Desktop LEGACY download, the freeze-ups almost dissappered completly. The newest desktop will cause this issue 3-4 times/day, where the Legacy may chug along for a few days, before ice sets in....

CLUSTERS!! Well I do have two Version 2 Pi's, and three V-3B+, and a V-4B on the way..... so this may be a solution to my pollution on the desk?
I never had any problems for years, running BPR, then I started to brew beer again, after 1.5 year lay-off (due to no time available, riding a bicycle many miles, and home construction projects....), so I loaded up the newest RPi desktop, and new copies of BPR, and then the problems began....
This "Cluster" is really a nice concept, that I never thought of - just knew there had to be a better use of 5 Pi's sitting around collecting dust or crunching BPR now.
thanks @day_trippr - more "toys" for the Old Man to play with!

A cluster is not useable as a "box of Pi's." It takes specific softeware and knownedge along with cluster-capable applications.

Hello all, I have an old BrewPi that I’m working on updating to BrewPi Remix. Everything seems to go fine until it runs for a couple hours then the graph stops updating and the script cannot connect. Wondering if it has something to do with the Tilt? I sometimes use it but only for lagers and not all brews. I think I saw on the internet somewhere that the Remix might timeout on trying to connect? Would that also stop the script? Any other ideas to try? Thanks in advance!

Welcome, @kmllr315!

The answer is "it depends." You should have a look at the log and the error log and see what might pop up that's not expected:
  • Standard log is typically at: /home/brewpi/logs/stdout.txt
  • Error log is typically at: /home/brewpi/logs/stderr.txt

I have connected an iSpindel to BPR 0.8.
I do get correct values in the top blue banner.
Does anyone have any idea why I never get any iSpindel SG numbers in the table on the right side?

Screenshot-202304241627.png

I have used the Zero, but performance suffers - especially with very large logs.

The Pico is not a computer, it s a controller. While it can run MicroPython, it's not a full OS capable of serving as a BrewPi Server.

If you live near a Microcenter store they get raspi shipments every week. I checked the website a few days in a row during the week and saw they got a shipment of about 50 raspi 4b 4gb at my local microcenter, limit one per person. When I got to the store there was still a ton left, I checked later in the day and they were almost out.

There are certainly some places trying to take advantage of a shortage, but you are right. If you want one you can find one; if you need one you’re going to feel the pain.

Have checked out the micro centre, 8Gb Pi less than half the price of a second hand rasp pi 4Gb down here in NZ.

Need to find someone going to the usa and get one ordered and into their suitcase.

Crazy difference.

My visit to Micro Center Cambridge revealed a grand total of ZERO Raspberry Pi's, but did see an imperial crapton of PLA spools and a dozen 3D printers where they used to put the RPi's and Arduinos and all of the accessory stuff for them. Asked one of the department heads what was up and he said whatever they get in for Raspberry Pi's gets sold out in hours and they just cannot keep any of the boards in stock.

No bueno. With 14 Pi's in service I'm super happy I have a Zero-W, a couple of 2Bs, and a 3B+ for spares...

Cheers!

Have checked out the micro centre, 8Gb Pi less than half the price of a second hand rasp pi 4Gb down here in NZ.

Need to find someone going to the usa and get one ordered and into their suitcase.

Crazy difference.
Check out Core Electronics Aus. Their prices might suit you? Not sure about shipping prices. Currently have 4gb and 8gb models in stock. Raspberry Pi Australia - Express Delivery

My visit to Micro Center Cambridge revealed a grand total of ZERO Raspberry Pi's, but did see an imperial crapton of PLA spools and a dozen 3D printers where they used to put the RPi's and Arduinos and all of the accessory stuff for them. Asked one of the department heads what was up and he said whatever they get in for Raspberry Pi's gets sold out in hours and they just cannot keep any of the boards in stock.

No bueno. With 14 Pi's in service I'm super happy I have a Zero-W, a couple of 2Bs, and a 3B+ for spares...

Cheers!
Jesus, and I thought I had a problem. To be fair though I've been actively retiring Pis as of late in favor of VMs on a dirt cheap, used SFF PC. $60, plus, I can tell myself that I'm helping combat e-waste (or something)!

Seriously though, for anyone interested, @LBussy should be able to confirm but I'm pretty sure BPR works wonderfully on Intel hardware, and it's only just barely harder to set up than a RPi.

Jesus, and I thought I had a problem. To be fair though I've been actively retiring Pis as of late in favor of VMs on a dirt cheap, used SFF PC. $60, plus, I can tell myself that I'm helping combat e-waste (or something)!

Seriously though, for anyone interested, @LBussy should be able to confirm but I'm pretty sure BPR works wonderfully on Intel hardware, and it's only just barely harder to set up than a RPi.
I'm hoping to set up a Pi 4 using 2 screens in the bar area for Raspberry pints, so think it raspberry pi only for that. Although I'm not sure how these other raspberry pi type clones would work, any ideas?

I’ve run BPRemix on old Dell laptops since forever.

Check out Core Electronics Aus. Their prices might suit you? Not sure about shipping prices. Currently have 4gb and 8gb models in stock. Raspberry Pi Australia - Express Delivery
Thank you for this, i've ordered a Pi 8Gb and also psu, case and a V2 Base shield which I think attaches to the arduino uno rev3 and could make the project a bit easier.
All of the above delivered still cheaper than a second hand Pi 4 4Gb.

@LBussy should be able to confirm but I'm pretty sure BPR works wonderfully on Intel hardware, and it's only just barely harder to set up than a RPi.
It should - the last time I tried, I ran it on Raspberry Pi Desktop (which is just Debian that looks like it's a Pi.) I've run it in a VM as well.

Along with brewery functions my RPi's are managing stuff like cameras and proximity and environmental sensors, many of them wirelessly. Running VMs on a central anything isn't a fit for my usage models due to the sensor connectivity limits (you can only string a sensor so far).

Also...my fleet was bought when RPi's were virtually comestibles 😁 The 2s and 3s were like $30-35 each and the Zeros were $10-15. The only one I paid a premium for was an 8GB model 4B that I've been playing with for facial recognition stuff. So they're cheap, connectable, and largely interchangeable. As I mentioned earlier the fleet is based on a common SD card image with features enabled on a per-system basis...

Cheers!

Along with brewery functions my RPi's are managing stuff like cameras and proximity and environmental sensors, many of them wirelessly. Running VMs on a central anything isn't a fit for my usage models due to the sensor connectivity limits (you can only string a sensor so far).

Also...my fleet was bought when RPi's were virtually comestibles 😁 The 2s and 3s were like $30-35 each and the Zeros were $10-15. The only one I paid a premium for was an 8GB model 4B that I've been playing with for facial recognition stuff. So they're cheap, connectable, and largely interchangeable. As I mentioned earlier the fleet is based on a common SD card image with features enabled on a per-system basis...

Cheers!
NVIDIA Jetson Nano is pretty cool for machine vision and facial recognition stuff

No doubt. It's also 3X what I paid for my 8GB 4 :oops:
My intended applications aren't that important.
Besides there's comfort in sharing operating systems and a lot of applications with the fleet...

Cheers!

I can confirm facial recognition works on a 3B, but oh god is it slow. Not good at recognizing faces and pours simultaneously, unfortunately.
You need a nice simple mark on your face like a big red triangle on your forehead will speed up the recognition no end!

I had it working on a 2B years ago, but it was indeed slow and not necessarily reliable.
You should try it on a 4B though with decent cooling so it's not throttling...

Cheers!

Any tips on how to get better temperature control? Right now I'm just running a empty chest freezer for testing set to 68*f. Is the pid control optimized for the thermal mass of liquid (how many gallons)? When the 5cu ft freezer runs it brings the temp down to about 60*f then takes 3+ hr to get back up to 68*f then goes up to about 70 before the freezer turns on again. Is there anyway to auto tune the PID constants?

I'm running brewpi-esp + fermentrack for monitoring

Any tips on how to get better temperature control? Right now I'm just running a empty chest freezer for testing set to 68*f. Is the pid control optimized for the thermal mass of liquid (how many gallons)? When the 5cu ft freezer runs it brings the temp down to about 60*f then takes 3+ hr to get back up to 68*f then goes up to about 70 before the freezer turns on again. Is there anyway to auto tune the PID constants?

I'm running brewpi-esp + fermentrack for monitoring
There are ways, but why would you want to tune for something you will not benefit from? Yes, you need some thermal mass in there because, without it, you are probably fighting min on/off times.

Put in a mass equal to whatever you plan to ferment, and test and tune that.

Hi all,

Having and issue with the cold or heat short cycling on only for few seconds when the beer temp has been set. When I set the fridge temp they stay running for a much longer time.

Thanks

Back