BrewPi Remix – What’s Old is New Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes Life happens.
Sometimes the @Revvy 's of the HBT world kinda fade away while the @Yooper 's seem to always be there handing out advice, solace and humor in equal measure for years.
One just never knows.
@Revvy , got Me beat by 7 years here! I will have to check out his Ancient Words of Wisdom
Thank's balrog
Okay.... back to BEER talk!
:rolleyes:

@LBussy , what can cause periodic loss of connection to script (script not running)?
I never had this problem before until this latest download. I know there is a question towards the end, when loading the program, that asks if you want to add a line that will periodically look if a "reconnect" is needed. I typed yes
A couple times a day, I have to go reboot the RPi, look for the new assigned IP address (it changes every time I reboot), then type the address in Raspian browser, and it is fine again.
I thought also, that the latest versions, assign a static IP address that does not change when rebooted?

Agreed, look for DHCP Address Reservation and be prepared to provide a MAC for the device.
Although that's a BS router that doesn't provide even minimal lease durations...

Cheers!

Agreed, look for DHCP Address Reservation and be prepared to provide a MAC for the device.
Although that's a BS router that doesn't provide even minimal lease durations...

Cheers
Thanks @Exception13 and @day_trippr . I logged onto my Netgear Nighthawk and figured out how to do this per your instructions.
I don't think this has anything to do with my RPRemix to keep the Script running?

The thing with glycol (or water) is that the loop is VERY fast - and as you have seen, PID can wind up. I did release a glycol firmwre which may be more appropriate for you. It's selectable as a "shield" type when you flash.

Here's the release notes:

https://github.com/brewpi-remix/brewpi-firmware-rmx/releases/tag/0.2.13
I just read this release! I chose "Glycol" shield when I downloaded the latest BPR version, but never changed my pin Analog Input from the existing A4 to what you are saying that - "The Glycol variant uses the I2C pinouts and must use A0 as the OneWire pin."
Could this be why my BrewPi keeps freezing up?
Here is a close up of what the graph looks like when I do a sudo reboot (the only way I know how to get it going again)
----The program froze up 3 times since yesterday, and was out of action this morning, until I rebooted again

Screenshot from 2023-02-19 13-44-39.png

I honestly have no idea how you even got any readings if the OneWire is on the wrong pin.
It has been "working" for 3 days with the input pin still on A4, not A0
It is possible that this card does not have the glycol option on it?
I always picked this option when i did a new sd card, so I have no idea either
I just put another different card into a different Raspberry Pi, and it seems to be working also -
It has not been running long enough to see if the relay's will open and close for Heat or Cooling

Screenshot from 2023-02-20 10-18-34.png

Glycol is on the Arduino, not the Pi. You must have the correct firmware flashed for your woring, you should be able to see the board version in the stdout.txt log.

Glycol is on the Arduino, not the Pi. You must have the correct firmware flashed for your woring, you should be able to see the board version in the stdout.txt log.
Yes, Lee! I was just trying to see if it could be a misbehaving Pi or a corrupted sd card. I did not try another UNO
But, so far, it is switching the relays for Heat and Cool good so far....
Not sure If I got the correct syntax to see the logs-
Thanks for being patient with a dank unranked amateur
Screenshot from 2023-02-20 10-49-38.png
hacker - Me!

eth0 Link is down
on reboot. This may be the problem why my connection to the GUI of the RPRemix goes down periodically?
I do not use an ethernet cable, but use a wireless dongle in the RPi. I am not sure upon reboot, that if there is no cable pluged in to the Pi, that eth0 will automatically go down. The UNO is running the script, as I can see the relays opening and closing periodically for Heat and Cool. So it looks like it is just an RPi issue that drops the connection periodically, and my GUI freezes on the RPiRemix dashboard. I never had this problem a few weeks ago, when I used the same pi, but with the Legecy version of BrewPi . I also got the latest version of Raspian desktop, and this is possibly where the problem may be.
When the RPi freezes up, both the red and green lights stay constant on.
Any thoughts ?

Last edited:
Not sure If I got the correct syntax to see the logs-
You would have to use cat, more or tail to see the logs:

Bash:
cat /home/brewpi/logs/stdout.txt

These are Unix utilities, a plethora of information may be found about these utilities by using man (manual), e.g.:

Bash:
man cat

When the RPi freezes up, both the red and green lights stay constant on.
That really suggests a Pi issue, but it's hard to say. One thing I can think of that definitely makes things slow down is if you use the same log for multiple brews (like your chart is months old.) Do you start a a new one each time?

The eth0 being down is not an issue.

You would have to use cat, more or tail to see the logs:

Bash:
cat /home/brewpi/logs/stdout.txt

These are Unix utilities, a plethora of information may be found about these utilities by using man (manual), e.g.:

Bash:
man cat

That really suggests a Pi issue, but it's hard to say. One thing I can think of that definitely makes things slow down is if you use the same log for multiple brews (like your chart is months old.) Do you start a a new one each time?

The eth0 being down is not an issue.
I have the same issue with an ongoing log, or start with a new card and wait until it can parse data to the graph.
I thought yesterday, that it may be an issue with Wi-Fi extender I put in, to try and boost the signal of the Rapt Pill wifi. I took it out of service, and rebooted to the main home router (good signal, 4/5 bars). The script would run fine as usual, then go blank, maybe a half-hour to hour later, when I was not actively working in the GUI on something. There is a question asked when you download the Remix, if you want to run a sub-routine periodically to verify Wi-Fi is established. I am paraphrasing this. I thought today I would try a new card, download a fresh copy, and say "NO" to this question. Then see if the RPi would keep its connection to the wifi and script. I am not sure how to delete/back out, this part of the download, so as not to screw any variables up, I would do a fresh copy.
Thanks again, Lee

There is a question asked when you download the Remix, if you want to run a sub-routine periodically to verify Wi-Fi is established. I am paraphrasing this. I thought today I would try a new card, download a fresh copy, and say "NO" to this question. Then see if the RPi would keep its connection to the wifi and script. I am not sure how to delete/back out, this part of the download, so as not to screw any variables up, I would do a fresh copy.
The wifi check is a remnant of the original BrewPi. I kept it because people are sure they need it. I don't believe it's the same problem it once was, which is why it is now a default "No" on the installer.

If you have enabled it and want to turn it off, issue these two commands:
Bash:
sudo systemctl stop wificheck
sudo systemctl disable wificheck

If you have not installed it and want it installed:
Bash:
sudo /home/brewpi/utils/doDaemon.sh

Is there anyway to remove old "Installed Devices" (temperature sensors), under the Maintenance Panel from the UNO?
I removed all the sensors from the controller, and when you do a Refresh, all the old ones show up as "Installed". This is confusing when your trying to install new sensors, and old one-wire addresses keep showing up on the installed list, even though they do not exist.
After happily running BrewPiLegacy for 7 years, I am not giving up fixing this new install.

This can be my problem - I am getting a "Low voltage detected" message. I then used another 5v switchable power supply (I been using for years OK on same B+3 Pi ) and get the same message
I issued these commands -
vcgencmd get_throttled and get "throttled=#####"
and this command - dmesg this comes back - "Under-voltage detected!"
I plugged in another 5v switchable power supply and get the same low voltage warning. I will try another RPi B+3 with this card and supply and see if the message comes back, then I know it is the supply and not the Pi voltage regulator on the board or something else.

Last edited:
This can be my problem - I am getting a "Low voltage detected" message. I then used another 5v switchable power supply (I been using for years OK on same B+3 Pi ) and get the same message
I issued these commands -
vcgencmd get_throttled and get "throttled=#####"
and this command - dmesg this comes back - "Under-voltage detected!"
I plugged in another 5v switchable power supply and get the same low voltage warning. I will try another RPi B+3 with this card and supply and see if the message comes back, then I know it is the supply and not the Pi voltage regulator on the board or something else.
This is very likely your problem. Get a real Raspberry Pi power supply and see if the issue goes away. $8 to get rid of your issues is cheap.

This is very likely your problem. Get a real Raspberry Pi power supply and see if the issue goes away. $8 to get rid of your issues is cheap.
@day_trippr
I'm almost There.....! I dug out a CanaKit power supply, and Viola! It has been 100% stable for hours now. (Dont use a switched after-market supply)
I am trying to get the Probes up now, and something I never seen before, keeps happening when I "Apply" the settings. For some reason, Detected devices sees both the room probe and the warm probe under my ass, to keep warmer :p
But, after "Apply", both Temps go to reading the same temp?
Here DETECTED- Before Applying
second picture you will see, INSTALLED, after hitting Apply after each line I define (or after I define both lines, the try Apply)
Screenshot from 2023-02-22 15-54-44.png
Screenshot from 2023-02-22 15-59-49.png

I'm almost There.....! I dug out a CanaKit power supply, and Viola! It has been 100% stable for hours now. (Dont use a switched after-market supply)
That was me that time - but after Dave has told me that liek 1000 times.

I am trying to get the Probes up now, and something I never seen before, keeps happening when I "Apply" the settings. For some reason, Detected devices sees both the room probe and the warm probe under my ass, to keep warmer :p
But, after "Apply", both Temps go to reading the same temp?
Here DETECTED- Before Applying
second picture you will see, INSTALLED, after hitting Apply after each line I define (or after I define both lines, the try Apply)
Do the EEPROM reset Dave mentions. That's an Arduino bug.

Well that's certainly not right. Does it do that repeatedly?
Did you do the eeprom reset thing before you started configuring the devices?

Cheers!
YES, it keeps doing the same "thing". Sometimes it will pick the first temperature to repeat twice, and other times it will pick the second different temp to reapeat twice.
YES, I did reset the eeprom by your instructions, and also reading the Documentation, to make sure I did not forget anything.
This is really weird! I am not certain if you MUST Apply each change individually, or you can do a "universal" Apply by changing all the detected devices, and then apply? I tried both ways and keeps coming back with the same value, it picks one of the probes, at seemingly random, as the other different temp probe value disappears (although you can see the different 1-wire address)

@Thorrak , @LBussy , and @day_trippr , Is this a "CASE", of use an original Arduino, or good luck? I used these Seinsmart, RexQualis, and another clone that just says UNO, on the Legacy and had no problems. Not sure what Controller I used out of my Stash? I did post a picture of the controller a dozen posts back, and I think @day_trippr said it has the same Chips as the Arduino (paraphrasing)
Thanks the Beer God"s, my Baltic Porter Lager is chugging along, thanks to the Seinsmart never crashing, but the Pi running it is a disaster!
I was looking to buy a new Pi, and see the RPi 4's are now $130 with a quad core 64 bit. Damn! What ever happened to the Poor People buying the $35 Pi in the past? I thought it was a "Steal", and bought a bunch, so I would not have to go in the other room, and grab the only 1 that I had... :yes:

I am not certain if you MUST Apply each change individually, or you can do a "universal" Apply by changing all the detected devices, and then apply?
Most of my UNO R3 modules are Sainsmarts.

When I set up an UNO I rattle through all of the available device settings top to bottom hitting each "Apply" button along the way. I don't think there's a way to set all the devices then "Apply" them simultaneously...

Cheers!

Well.... the new transformer did help the Raspberry Pi from misbehaving. I can freely surf the internet, the Green light flashes every 10 seconds or so, the Red light is obviously on steady. So I think I eliminated the Pi as the culprit for the Remix script loosing the updates to the GUI graph and script.
This is seperate Pi, with good applied temp sensors, running my Baltic Porter and others, the past few weeks. @day_trippr , @LBussy , not the one with the sensors that I can not apply from yesterday. (Have not retried today)
You can see several drops of the Script, the past week, and last night. I have to reboot to get it up again

Screenshot from 2023-02-23 08-47-40.png

I had to do 2 reboots this time. First time all I got was a blank screen with no Raspberry desktop. I had to Control+Function+Alt+Del, and play around with Control+Alt+F1, to force my Terminal to open, so I could sudo reboot now. I unchecked the Chamber Setting for this screenshot -
Screenshot from 2023-02-23 09-07-54.png

So the temperature is ramping up but it's strange to me that there is such a wide spread between the beer and chamber sensors through that plot - the lines never get close never mind cross...

Cheers!

So the temperature is ramping up but it's strange to me that there is such a wide spread between the beer and chamber sensors through that plot - the lines never get close never mind cross...

Cheers!
The "Chamber" temperature is just the second temp probe sitting near the 300 watt rod heater (heating the beer attached with a tri-clamp) It is acting more of a Room Temperature probe, The Beer probe is in a thermowell on the tank. The cooling is with cold 36 degree water.
This is on the RevC Shield
The other Pi I am having problems getting the probe readings to Apply, is on the Glycol Shield
I do not cycle a fridge compressor. And no Chamber.
I am in the process of either using Fermwrap tape, a smaller 100 watt rod heater, or a heating plate, so the heat overshoot is not so drastic
thanks @day_trippr

Last edited:
Ah, I didn't realize this was one of your glycol setups. Probe readings make a little more sense now :)
I think I drove @LBussy crazy over the years, with all my hack jobs. If it was never tested, leave it to me, to screw it up.
My system works really well with the BPR. I never had a chance yet to run it with the Glycol PID, so I expect to see the Heat/Cool cycles to hone in better when I do. Just have to get the Device Configuration to work.....
Thanks again @day_trippr , your helping a LOT of people make better beer!

Okay, try this for now:

curl -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/brewpi-remix/brewpi-tools-rmx/CVE-2022-24765/bootstrap.sh | sudo bash

I'm not completely done with testing the install, but I passed the spot where you got the error. Here is the change for those who are curious. Technically adding a vulnerability, but I'm just reverting the security change in git which should not matter with a Raspberry Pi. If it does matter, you should already know how to fix this. :)
Lee,
Is this the "goto" line command to download Remix? Your original line near the beginning of this thread, still does not work
It took a little bit of searching to find this above (Page 15)
I gave up trying to get my probes to "Apply" correctly and am starting over fresh BPR
Thanks

Back