Brewpi AVR program for Mac

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StressedPenguin

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I just got done getting temp controlling and everything done on my arduino and raspPi. I want to add some code into the BrewPi arduino code but it is written in Atmel Studio, which is only for Windows (I am on a Mac). Has anyone done any type of modifications to the brewpi code on a Mac before? What program did you use?

Thanks, and happy brewing!

Is dual booting windows out of the question? Macs can do that now right?

Did you end up getting everything wired up and working? I know a bunch of you started but haven't heard back if anyone was totally successful with my instructions or not lol

You'd probably have better luck on the Arduino forums than here, but good luck wish i could help.

Yup, totally working! I've got raspberry pints and BrewPi running at the same time and am doing a test run of the temperature controlling part to make sure i didn't mess anything up. Don't want to hook it up and have the beer go bad! Tonight I'll put it all in a project box and actually hook it up for a brew this weekend.

You are probably right about the arduino forums, I'll focus more over there. I wanted to avoid dual booting because I don't want to go through the trouble. I am more surprised there ISNT an obvious answer for this.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Is it a standard arduino sketch? I haven't looked at the code you are talking about, but if its arduino why couldn't you just use the standard arduino program to send code? I use it all the time on my mac.

Maybe eclipse?

I haven't actually uploaded the resulting binary to an Arduino board, but it only took me a few minutes to get the project to compile on Linux, which means that it should be just as easy using the OS X command line. You'll need to double check that you're using the recommended Arduino board/hardware and/or dig into the Makefile and set all of the flags correctly for the board you're using.

You'll need to install a valid avr-gcc toolchain. Installing the Arduino environment may take care of that for you, but I'm not sure that the executable files within the Arduino application will be easily accessible via command line. Here's a tutorial that may help. You'll also need to install the git utilities. Then, issue the following commands in a terminal window, starting in a directory where you have read/write access:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/BrewPi/brewpi-avr.git
cd brewpi-avr/brewpi_avr/Build
mkdir tmp
mkdir final
make
The .hex binary used for programming Arduino's microprocessor chip will reside in the Build/final directory that you just created.

Once you get the build process to work, you can move on to editing the code using any text editor you please.

Bkcorwin - it has a bunch of files with dependencies and the program that made everything was for atmel chips, so the arduino program doesn't like the format.

Thank you Yuri for a really detailed suggestion. I was trying to avoid it but I think it is the easiest way. I installed cross pack this morning which I think is similar and will go through that tutorial to see what I can get.

Thanks!

Getting the build process to succeed is trivial. Depending on your goal, hand editing code from a somewhat bloated series of project files could be a daunting task. I recommend getting familiar with "grep -R" in a hurry.

Depending on what your doing Penguin, you may want to also talk to Elco/mdma/Geo, log into their IRC channel #brewpi on i think freenode, they are Euro time but always answer questions...

They can probably save you a ton of time and tell you exactly where to put your code. And if its something useful for the general public they can always merge it in with their code potentially

Yup, totally working! I've got raspberry pints and BrewPi running at the same time

Any tips on how you accomplished this? I've got both installed but Brewpi seems to want to take over (installed after RPints) the web server.
I'm a noob with Linux. Anything you could share would be greatly appreciated.

fwiw, I just got BrewPi installed and peacefully coexisting with RaspberryPints and my home-brewed keezer temperature logger on my 'Pi and growing fleet of accoutrements (an AlaMode, an Uno, a SainSmart 2-ch relay card, the PIR sensor, and a couple of homemade One-Wire bridge boards).

I did the BrewPi installation manually, as it was going to land on top of everything else already resident in the /var/www folder, and indeed I found that the sole conflict was that both BrewPi and RaspberryPints want to own index.php in the /var/www folder.

So when I cloned the BrewPi git I dumped it into a unique folder (ie: /var/www2) so it didn't squash my exsting R'Pints index.php, then renamed the BrewPi's file to brewpi.php, before moving the contents of the cloned folder over to /var/www.

I've been harassing BrewPi by mucking with the temperature goal and method while warming and chilling the temperature sensors and with all the havoc that's causing to it's tuning algorithms I'm pretty sure it's about ready to punch me in the mush ;)

Cheers!

fwiw, I just got BrewPi installed and peacefully coexisting with RaspberryPints and my home-brewed keezer temperature logger on my 'Pi and growing fleet of accoutrements (an AlaMode, an Uno, a SainSmart 2-ch relay card, the PIR sensor, and a couple of homemade One-Wire bridge boards).

I did the BrewPi installation manually, as it was going to land on top of everything else already resident in the /var/www folder, and indeed I found that the sole conflict was that both BrewPi and RaspberryPints want to own index.php in the /var/www folder.

That's how I did it, but I used the automatic installers for both. Basically I wanted someone who types in the address on my LAN to only have the pints page for ease. On the installer for BrewPi I just changed me default setting when it asks where you want to install the web information to /var/www/BrewPi. Now when you plug in the the address you get rasp pints, then when you hit 192.168.1.8/brewpi/ you get the other.

If you already installed everything you might be able to make it work but the problem is the installer changes all the addresses in the code to point to where you want the web folder to be. If you change it now the pointers in everything might not work. I would recommend a wipe and reinstall depending on how savy you are just so everything works down the road.

Someone else may chime in with the exact place for the web address stuff but I haven't researched it enough since mine was working.

No need for changing anything, the two are playing quite nicely together, the only thing that's different from the standard installation script is I changed the php file name, and web access defaults to the tap list as I want. No biggie managing that...

Cheers!

Thanks guys. Sounds easy enough. The only problem when I was tinkering with it last night is that I can't find the www folder. BrewPi is working but when I navigate to /var there is no www folder there.
I used the automated installation with all the default install values. No folders are hidden.

^Given all the effort to set things up for www-data user and the standard web server residence being /var/www, that is truly weird. No chance the folder is in a color that isn't showing well (don't laugh - my 'Pi uses this dark purple/blue that is tough on my eyes ;) )

Anyway...if you run this command from a Putty/ssh or local terminal session you can find the missing folder...

$ sudo find / -name "maintenance-panel.php"

Cheers!

I hadn't gotten too far with the Pi yet so I just did a fresh install of everything and I'm up and running. Just need to find a nice panel to set everything up in. Thanks for the help guys. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back