Brewometer kickstarter thoughts - digital bluetooth hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't worry about the LED. If you are concerned about the battery, change it before your first brew. Mine lasted a few brews before konking out. Unfortunately if it happens during a brew you lose your data, but your beer will be fine!

got mine, is in a irish red right now. I am assuming I don't need to do anything with the tilt software as far as calibrating it for SG and temperature??? If so I would guess calibrating it in water and with a thermometer or is it ready to go without calabration?

got mine, is in a irish red right now. I am assuming I don't need to do anything with the tilt software as far as calibrating it for SG and temperature??? If so I would guess calibrating it in water and with a thermometer or is it ready to go without calabration?

I always tare mine in water. It takes no time. I use a glass hydrometer to measure the starting (and finishing) gravity and calibrate to that.

After that I don't worry about it anymore.

Mine was delivered just before I started cooling an octoberfest on Sunday. In it went. Love checking it in the morning and at night. Will be checking through the thread again to find out how i'll be doing more data logging. I can definitely see a few more of these in my future.

I will play with it a little more. Got the Google sheet to work so far. Darn it I think I need two now...I kind of like checking gravity without opening the carboy.

I will play with it a little more. Got the Google sheet to work so far. Darn it I think I need two now...I kind of like checking gravity without opening the carboy.

First world problems :D And I've had the same thought.

I just updated my tilt/Brewometer cloud sheet with a script that sends emails if the data has stopped logging, temperature is too high, or the SG has achieved a certain level.There is also a cool published sheet that you can pull up on your mobile device to check in on the progress.

Here's a shared version of my brewometer cloud sheet... I've also added a Notes Sheet that describes some of the features...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B25fiij8GTRIVZ09Pd-DzAoV-dK2d6YYwdlCxIEzXQE/edit?usp=sharing

Here's my published status page, which is monitoring my current brew. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...8lTid0ckVPQ/pubhtml?gid=601246909&single=true

Enjoy!

I just updated my tilt/Brewometer cloud sheet with a script that sends emails if the data has stopped logging, temperature is too high, or the SG has achieved a certain level.There is also a cool published sheet that you can pull up on your mobile device to check in on the progress.

Here's a shared version of my brewometer cloud sheet... I've also added a Notes Sheet that describes some of the features...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B25fiij8GTRIVZ09Pd-DzAoV-dK2d6YYwdlCxIEzXQE/edit?usp=sharing

Here's my published status page, which is monitoring my current brew. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...8lTid0ckVPQ/pubhtml?gid=601246909&single=true

Enjoy!

If you downloaded the sheet already, you may want to download it again. I made some additional changes.

Is there anyway to delete a interval that was a spike? My beer has been going good except I have 1 wierd spike (1.092) that just bugs me. Everytime I try to delete, the whole page disappears.

Is there anyway to delete a interval that was a spike? My beer has been going good except I have 1 wierd spike (1.092) that just bugs me. Everytime I try to delete, the whole page disappears.

Go to the Sheet1 tab and highlight the offending row. Right-mouse click and choose delete. That's it.

Enjoy!

Added BJCP Style options to Report page. Updated Inactive Bluetooth image.

I tried skimming through all this, and looked on the companies website, but couldn't find an answer. Is there any reason this couldn't be used when making mead as well?

I tried skimming through all this, and looked on the companies website, but couldn't find an answer. Is there any reason this couldn't be used when making mead as well?

I have used it to make several batches of mead. Works the same, unless you're making a melomel with fresh fruit. The fruit gets in the way of the Tilt.

This is great EmDubeu, I am having a lot of fun with it. Just using my Tilt hydrometers for the first time, I have 2.

This gives me 2 questions, firstly can I use the same sheet to make 2 Main Published Sheet pages, one for each color? I want to send each one to a webpage I can keep track of.

My other question is about the Recipe Tab, can the details be imported from something like Beersmith or are they manually added.

Thanks for the great work

This is great EmDubeu, I am having a lot of fun with it. Just using my Tilt hydrometers for the first time, I have 2.

This gives me 2 questions, firstly can I use the same sheet to make 2 Main Published Sheet pages, one for each color? I want to send each one to a webpage I can keep track of.

My other question is about the Recipe Tab, can the details be imported from something like Beersmith or are they manually added.

Thanks for the great work

I'm not sure about question 1. I don't think you can have multiple Tilts reporting to the same sheet (sheet1). Even if they could, my google sheet isn't currently designed to have multiple published pages reporting from sheet1. I believe you'd need to create a duplicate of the google sheet, then configure the url to your other Tilt. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

On question 2, the recipe tab is purely manual entry. If you want something more automated via an xml import, look at what Brewstat.us has done. I won't be updating my sheet with this functionality.

Be sure to grab the latest google sheet here, as I think the latest is v3.15.

You can have multiple Tilts logging to a single sheet, that's how I have mine setup.

Please note that I'm not currently logging anything, as I've been busy rebuilding my brew rig; however, if you go over to the "Sheet 1" sheet you'll see 2 different color Tilts reporting.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I had not got to the fiddling about stage, it is clear the data is being reported to sheet1 for both of my Tilt devices, I just need to take the results to another sheet to separate the results out as per drgonzo2k2's sheet.

How often are the solutions staring you in the face?

I do like the idea of using xml to import the recipe, seems such a shame to have to type it all in again. More fun play time

I'm not sure about question 1. I don't think you can have multiple Tilts reporting to the same sheet (sheet1). Even if they could, my google sheet isn't currently designed to have multiple published pages reporting from sheet1. I believe you'd need to create a duplicate of the google sheet, then configure the url to your other Tilt. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

On question 2, the recipe tab is purely manual entry. If you want something more automated via an xml import, look at what Brewstat.us has done. I won't be updating my sheet with this functionality.

Be sure to grab the latest google sheet here, as I think the latest is v3.15.

Found out some more about how this works.

The App will allow multiple coloured options but only 1 URL so they all report to Sheet1 in sequence. If you then change B2 on the Report Sheet it will update all the data with the current selected colour. This works however just with 1 colour at a time.

I tried to copy the Report Sheet and all associated Sheets with amended formula and it all works except it broke the Graphs I am guessing it is to do with the Hyperlinked URLs on the hidden sheets.

EmDubeu any chance of getting a copy of what they contain, I am happy to do the work to make the sheet work with all (or selected) coloured Tilt Hydrometers at the same time.

I don't know if this will work as it's a plugin for Wordpress but if you code maybe you can hack out what you need to insert it as an xml object in your workbook?

I don't know if this will work as it's a plugin for Wordpress but if you code maybe you can hack out what you need to insert it as an xml object in your workbook?

Looks like a great project for someone! importxml function isn't super simple in google docs, but maybe it's just me.

I switched from my Speidels to using closed fermentation using corny kegs and assumed the Tilt (I have a couple of the original models) would not work while inside a corny keg. Well, I was wrong. If I place my Android phone within a few feet near the top of the keg it does record the readings. I checked it with both of my Tilts and they work fine this way. Just thought I would let people know this.

I switched from my Speidels to using closed fermentation using corny kegs and assumed the Tilt (I have a couple of the original models) would not work while inside a corny keg. Well, I was wrong. If I place my Android phone within a few feet near the top of the keg it does record the readings. I checked it with both of my Tilts and they work fine this way. Just thought I would let people know this.

I have seen similar results, however I ferment in a sanke keg inside a chest freezer. The tilt's Bluetooth signal will not go through both the keg and chest freezer when my android tablet is on the outside of the freezer. It works if I place the tablet inside the freezer.

EmDubeu - awesome sheet, how do I go about getting my Tilt connected to a copy of your sheet? I made a copy and i am not sure how to get it to connect with mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy!

EmDubeu - awesome sheet, how do I go about getting my Tilt connected to a copy of your sheet? I made a copy and i am not sure how to get it to connect with mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To connect this spreadsheet to your tilt, do the following:

1. Make a copy of the spreadsheet.
2. Open the spreadsheet and go to Tools < Script Editor from the menu.
3. Select Brewometer Cloud App.
4. Once in the script editor from the menu, select Publish < Deploy as web app.
5. When the window pops up, change the "Who has access to the app:" to "Anyone, even anonymous".
6. Select "Me" in the Execute the app as pull-down.
7. Click Publish. Grab the web app URL and put this in your Tilt app.

That should do it, I think... If not, comment on your outcome here.

Anyone know how to use Google Sheets Importxml and parse the data into a worksheet cell?

Looks like a great project for someone! importxml function isn't super simple in google docs, but maybe it's just me.

Almost got the import xml working... Just need to narrow down a Google sheets issue. Works pretty slick though.

Enjoy!

Updated the sheet to fix the email alert issue. Download and use this one (version 3.16):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...d-DzAoV-dK2d6YYwdlCxIEzXQE/edit#gid=734290882

I'm also testing a low temperature alert to go along with the high temperature alert. You'll define the setpoint, which determines your high and low temp alert. I've got it working now, just need to make sure it's all good before I update the above shared sheet.

Also, I've given up on importing an xml recipe into the sheet. Unless someone wants to help, I'm done. I tried to use IMPORTXML, however it requires the xml file to be hosted somewhere online. The xml file can't be hosted/shared from google drive, One Drive or Dropbox...

Cheers!

I had the misfortune to have to rebuild my Beersmith as it forgot I had registered and when I re-registered it wiped out my recipes. Now I have it back I will spend some time looking at this as it would be good to have it implemented. Thanks for your work so far it is appreciated.

Updated the sheet to add some new alert functionality.
1. Added a high and low temp alert.
2. Updated the specific gravity alerts with an option to only send 1 alert if a certain specific gravity is met. (read Sheet Notes tab for more info).
3. Changed how to set a gravity alert setpoint (more clear).
4. Split the ingredients and some other values out of the "settings" tab. Now those values are in an Ingredients tab.

Download and use this one (version 3.19):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...-DzAoV-dK2d6YYwdlCxIEzXQE/edit#gid=1034347503

Hello EmDubeu,

I am trying to run your spreadsheet. I make made a copy and publish it to the web. However when I test the app I get the following error.

{"result":"error","error":{"message":"Invalid argument: id","name":"Exception","fileName":"Code","lineNumber":36,"stack":"\tat Code:36 (handleResponse)\n\tat Code:19 (doGet)\n"}}

Not sure how to troubleshoot this. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hello EmDubeu,

I am trying to run your spreadsheet. I make made a copy and publish it to the web. However when I test the app I get the following error.

Not sure how to troubleshoot this. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Did you run the setup script like the instructions say in the original cloud sheet script? Looks like the error eludes to a missing sheet id, which gets placed in the sheet user properties when the Setup script gets ran.

If you didn't run the "setup" script, you'll need to get into the script editor from your copy of the spreadsheet. (Tools Menu > Script Editor). Once there, click on the Code.gs script, then click Run menu and select setup. You may need to re-publish.

Once published, you'll need to add your sheet id, found in the url of your opened spreadsheet, and apply the id to every reference in TempAlert.gs, sgAlert.gs, and statusAlert.gs. Look for references in each script "YOUR SHEET ID HERE". Add your id in-between the single quotes.

Pm me and I'll help you get it going.

Back